This is Ålesund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Ålesund

Once again, thank you for making my phototrip to Ålesund as easy as possible!
    You know, my consern with the Slinningsodden when QM2 is moored, is the distance. Across our harbour in Kristiansund we have a little over 500 meters and my zoom working at its maximum.
    From Slinningen to the quay where QM2 will be, I'll experience close to 1.000 meters.
    But we'll see what comes out of it.

On the picture (found on Wikimedia, ok for copying and free use) below, is my yellow arrow plased on the Skutvikpiren...???
    You see, that's where I want to be, but the pier looks like it's inside a closed area to public traffic...?
    Last edited by Sterkoder; July 14th, 2011, 21:53.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

When you first go to Aalesund you should make a holiday of it. Bring your family and stay for a while.

There is a Cruise ship in port every day from Friday 15. to Wednesday 20. July. In fact, on 20. July there will be three ships in port, as there will be on 25. July. Two will be alongside at the Cruise Terminal and one at anchor.

Here is a link to the list of cruise ships visiting Aalesund in 2011: http://www.alesund.havn.no/local_cgi...portclient.exe

Now to your spotter places for the QM2 visit;
      If you are early you can catch her arriving and picking up pilot in Breisundet. The best spotting place for this is at Hessabana at the western tip of Hessa.

As she progress in Hessafjorden you can follow here along, until Slinningsodden, where she will be very close. (There may be some other photographer there though)

Next good position is at Saltkompaniet, or on the road down to there, which would be a vantage point as she enters Aspoyvaagen.

As/if she turns to make approach with Port side alongside you will get some very good shots from near Olsvika and Hessaskaret. Also a good place to get broad side shots of the ship, if she goes Stbd. side alongside.

This picture of QE2 was shot from there:

(Taken from Aalesund Havn website)

For your close-up shots you may be able to get out on Skutvikpiren. I don't know if this is accessible without going through the ISPS gate at Skutvika Container Terminal, but it may be possible to get permission, if you claim you are visiting one of the fishing boats that is bound to be tied up there.

There was a nice spotter place in Nedre Strandgate, but that may have been blocked by the new construction that is/was going on there.

Storhaugen and Grimmerhaugen (Aalesund Museum) is also alternative places to get some interesting shots from a bit of height.

Here is the various places marked on GE images: (old)

Good luck and hope the weather co-operate on the day. (No guarantee in Aalesund, just ask Lady E)

PS> If you want some really different pictures, get up to Sukkertoppen:

Accessible on foot only and from the South side of Hessa. (Just past Hessa School)

PPS> Your picture of Aalesund in the post above was shot from there.

Comment

Have been sitting here looking at satellite photos, measured distances, found out where there are ISPS and not and all in all tried to plan my photo excursion the best I can.
        Looks like Slinningsodden will be the main place (hope the sharpest direct head on sunlight don't make any problems), then maybe Olsvika, or any other open space along Kaptein Linges road and finally the dock down there by the Nedre Strandgate 25/27.
        Will also (if she dock bow westward) try for a Pakarang-view shot from the dock at Nedre Strandgate 41, but we'll see....

(Is it normal to act this "crazy" if you haven't seen a classic Cunard monster before...?)

Comment

Svein, you go ahead and act crazy...... but I'm sure it's normal.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Just got on here for a very brief moment to wish you a great day and lots of super photos!

Comment

Ok...., here I am back from a journey which started 04:00 AM last night.
              (Needless to say, I'm so tired now I don't know what I'm writing..., almost).
              Anyway, I drove to Ålesund today and took the 05:00 AM ferry from Molde.
              Purpose of this trip was to finally see "Queen Mary 2" with my own eyes, and surely, I did. What a ship!!!!!

I don't care if we have a cruiseship thread or anything here, because all my images from Ålesund will be posted here. I don't have energy right now to jump between threads...., so, here we go:

At 5:58 AM I tested out a spot at Nedre Strandgate, but found it useless. It was a great spot to picture cargo vessels over at the Skutevika Container Harbour, and mirroring itself in the calm sea was "Porsøy"

Had to take the mirror image

I belive this is called "Sukkertoppen" over at Hessa and it seems like it is a christmas star up there waiting to light up again in December

Then, just after she had taken on board a pilot in Hessafjord, it was time for my very first sight of this beautiful ship. This picture is taken from Naustveien on my way to Slinningsodden

Comment

This is in my view one of the most beautiful cruise ships sailing.

Then, my suspicion came through. Head on strong sunlight straight into my camera. Had to wait untill QM2 had passed the Slinningsodden before taking pictures there

The viewpoint and restaurant Aksla in the background

Impressive sight

Coming up to Prestekaia/Storneskaia where she will be moored

Comment

Had to test my 10-17mm from Slinningsodden

Before going back to the city, I had to take some pictures at Slinningsodden

Drove back via Kaptein Linges vei, and in Olsvika, down by the private boats, I found this mirror image of an old seahouse

Comment

And one owner of an old boat must have had a special dream....

From Olsvika the QM2 and Ålesund looked like this. To the left we see the container ships "North Express" and "Tina" at Skutvika

Tug company Bukser & Berging and their crane barge, "Mini Mammut" and "BB Ocean"

Trawler "Havbryn" close by

Then it was time to try out different places down at Prestekaia and over by the Quality Hotel. Sunlight straight on, but I had to have a go at it...

This is an image just to show you what I struggled against. Not proud of it at all...

Comment

The house over at Slinningsodden in the far background

This was as close as I could get with my 18-55mm

The lines are so beautiful

And if it hadn't been for that huge sun spot, this could be an ok image

Comment

I liked the design of the QE2 bridge, but this is not far off...

And of course I had to take that classic picture

Then over to an old ferry dock by the TINE dairy

I must admit, the one part I don't like on the QM2 is her lower stern

Comment

From that TINE dairy, Slinningsodden looks like this

And using my 50-200mm, Aksla looks like this

Talking about Aksla; my thought was to get up there before the buses from QM2 started to drive outward on that narrow road to the viewpoint.
                          From Aksla, QM2 and Ålesund looked like this today

Our friend "Lofoten" just left for Geiranger

"Porsøy" sailed north-east, or due east in fact

"North Express" left Ålesund

Comment

great images Svein,even with the hugh sun in her back,it gives a kind of dimension.
                            you are not the only one who don't like her stern,but it had a purpose. (i forget which)

also it is very good to see that her bridge is made longer with 1.5 meters at each side,after a few years.
                            the captain complained that he didn't had a free view allong his ship
                            very good to see in images 312 -3 and 312-6
                            best regards Thijs

Comment

"North Express" turning around Slinningsodden. I post this so that you can see how close QM2 was that place early in the morning.

Didn't care much for that yellow crane down by the city hall, so I had to drive from the Aksla and stop at some beautiful ponds a few hundred meters away. There I got another angle..., without that crane...

That was my last picture (of the selected ones to post) from Ålesund this time, and I end by showing you a picture of a mountain top at Ørskogfjellet on my way to Vestnes and the ferry back to Molde

Sorry for occupying the Ålesund-thread...!

Comment

the captain complained that he didn't had a free view allong his ship
                                And as you can see, the captain(s) also got themselves windows in the bridge-wing floor, so that they can stand there looking straight down...

Comment

Working...
                                X