This is Ålesund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HurtigruteMartin View Post
    All the verandas on the narrow side (as seen on ombugges quoted image) was removed. And as you can see, the lovely park/outdoor-area between the City Hall and the Kremmergården shoppingcenter was totally closed.
    Actually, when you look at this building in isolation it is not that ugly and probably didn't deserve the title; "Norway's second ugliest building".
    It is the stark contrast to the other buildings, especially the height ,that make it appear to be so out of place, and therefore ugly.

I think they should just get on with it and remove, not just the verandas but the top 5 or 6 floors, then it would not look so much out of place.
    I'm curious to see if the new facade on this building will make it more accepted to the general public though.

Comment

Ålesund by a Russian photographer at a Russian website:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

HurtigruteMartin wondered what the font was in #284. That sent me searching as I love looking at fonts. At http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detai...NT&SCOPE=Fonts there is something very similar in the formation of individual characters.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

NEVER seen that web-site before.

Thank you so much for that interesting link, wherrygirl.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
            Ålesund by a Russian photographer at a Russian website
            Looks over-saturated, or is there an invasion of green algaes???
            Last edited by ombugge; February 6th, 2011, 08:21.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
              Looks over-saturated, or is there an invasion of green algaes???
              There may be algae but I agree on the saturation - and it is overall too sharp with little graduation for distance until you get to the small hills and the horizon when it suddenly changes. It makes the buildings look like cardboard cutouts.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Fabulous pictures of Ålesund and the surrounding country.

Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Re: This is Ålesund

Midsummer night in Aalesund!!!
                  With the biggest bonfire in Norway?
                  Link: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/alesundogo...dex=12#pageTop

For some reason it should be viewed from #13 and backwards.

Edith: Here is a link to historic pictures from the bonfire tradition in Aalesund. It may not be easy to understand, unless you are from Aalesund and have a few years behind you: http://www.smp.no/kultur/moldejazz/a...ndex=0#pageTop
                  I was part of it in the 1950s.

PS>I have no idea why Moldejazz gets mixed in with this.
                  Last edited by ombugge; June 25th, 2011, 17:23.

Comment

Skyscraper bonfire!!!!!!
                    And thank you for that link to the bit of history too.

Comment

Sorting tru some picture I came across this one, taken 2007:

I don't remember if it has been posted on CVF earlier, but fits nicely with the last few posts.

Here is another. This time a painting, but nevertheless:

This one has been posted earlier.

And if anybody is REALLY interested, here is a link to pictures from this year's "Slinningsbaal": http://www.smp.no/nyheter/article352514.ece
                      Dedicated to all ex-Aalesundere here on CVF

Comment

Will try to visit Ålesund this coming Saturday.
                        Plan is to picture QM2 as she arrives around 8:00AM, but if that can't be done (me sleeping too long), she will be there until 5:00PM.

How should I ever get inside the ISPS are at the Skutevika dock and breakwater/pier...????
                        I don't know nowone in the Ålesund Harbour dept., so I guess I'll have to drive all the way to Slinningen...., which would mean over a kilometer in zoom...
                        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                          Will try to visit Ålesund this coming Saturday.
                          Plan is to picture QM2 as she arrives around 8:00AM, but if that can't be done (me sleeping too long), she will be there until 5:00PM.

How should I ever get inside the ISPS are at the Skutevika dock and breakwater/pier...????
                          I don't know nowone in the Ålesund Harbour dept., so I guess I'll have to drive all the way to Slinningen...., which would mean over a kilometer in zoom...
                          You don't have to go all the way to Slinningen to get good pictures of the ship once she is alongside. Drive the old road on the north side of Hessa. Pass Hessaskaret and along the road from there to Olsvika there is ample possibilities for good spotter places to take full ship pictures.
                          If you are there in time, drive to Slinningsodden for the best approach pictures. (or departure pictures)

Otherwise, try Skutvikpiren and Meierikaia. Storhaugen, or any high vantage point in town may also be interesting.

Not to forget Fjellstua, but there it may be a bit crowded once tourists get there by the busloads.

PS> The QM2 will be at the Cruise Terminal, also known as Storneskaia /Prestebrygga. (Only a small area is within the ISPS fence. I don't think you need to go there unless you want to take VERY detailed picture of the shipside or something)
                          Last edited by ombugge; July 14th, 2011, 15:07.

Comment

Thank you so much for detailed info there, 'ombugge'!!!

Thinking about taking the 5:00AM ferry from Molde, so I'll be in Ålesund at around 6:35AM.
                            That should give me some time to sort out the different places AND to be at Slinningsneset upon her arrival.
                            Glad also to hear that the ISPS-fences might not be spread too far out at the Storneskaia, because I want to take close up images also.

That is my plan..., but if the day will look like that, only time will show
                            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Here is a picture of the north side of Hessa taken from Raadhuset. Hessaskaret at the extreme right, Olsvika in the centre:

The stretch of road between them is highly recommended as spotter place.

Here is a few picture of the town as seen from there:

I grew up looking at this view of Aalesund.

Comment

Speaking of Slinningsodden (it is Slinningsodden, not Slinningsneset and Hessa not Heissa, no matter what it says on the map)

The iconic warehouse at the very tip of Slinningen is nearly as much a symbol of Aalesund as the view from Aksla:

It looks like this large wooden building may be saved from destruction, or just falling down in a winter storm, according to an article in smp.no today. (Picture also from there)

Now the big debate is; what can it be used for and who will spend the large amount of money it will take to restore it?

The present owners does not have that kind of monies and are all getting on in years. They will be happy to get rid of a drain on their resources.

Could somebody tip off Mr. Thon???

EDITH: Maybe more commonly seen like this:

As seen from Fjellstua.
                                Last edited by ombugge; June 25th, 2012, 08:10. Reason: Add pix.

Comment

Working...
                                X