This is Ålesund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    yes, we arrived at 0600 hrs. And was home by 0715 hrs.
    The first thing i did was to get into my normal home attire of sarong and enjoy a cold beer on the veranda in 26c to watch the sun rise behind the neighbouring blocks.

No, i don't normally drink beer that early, but it was only midnight in norway and i was still on norwegian time, so what the heck!!
    It is nice to be home and waaaarm.
    photo????????

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
      photo????????
      Sorry, no incriminating photo taken. It would probably have been censored anyway.
      Or did you mean photo of the termometer, or the sunrise, to stay in style with the earlier posts?
      Last edited by ombugge; January 28th, 2010, 09:00. Reason: Adding text.

Comment

Follow-up on the Aalesund trip

I was looking trough the pics taken in Aalesund this trip and found a few more I would like to share with you.

These pics were taken at Stavneset. All from the same position and with a few seconds time difference, but in different directions.

Towards Hareide and Vardalsfjorden. Sula and Eltrane on the right:

Breisundet, Lesten on the Right, Runde on the left:

Sukkertoppen up close and personal:

Our sons were looking for climbing routes.

Skolma:

And back to Hareide and the entrance to Storfjorden: (NOT as seen from the Cruise ships in the summer)

What fascinates me is the changing light, even in a short span of time.

Anybody looking for a place to build their dream house in Aalesund? Here is seaside property for sale on the south side of Hessa:

The view on this day was not much to brag about, but it improves when the snow disappear:

Comment

A new day dawn with snow showers clearing away:

The next day it cleared up even further and the sun got a chance:

And then it showed itself for a brief moment:

The above pics were taken from the comfort of an enclosed veranda.

Comment

Aspoy School prominently against a shifting sky:

And then it snowed:

And snowed:

Until it looked like this:

But life goes on unabated in Aalesund, regardless of weather. HSC Tide Express alongside the new HSC Terminal:

Nobody cares about the old terminal:

Just let the snow pile up.

But we had a warm house to retreat to:

With an enclosed veranda , where it was possible to take pictures anyhow:

Comment

It turned COOOLD but clear and the streets become "walkable" again:

Tide Express and Tide Lyn went about their normal business, come cold or snow:

Hurtigruta is not affected by weather of any kind:

This day with a prominent guest on board, HurtigruteMartin.

And the fishing fleet is getting back to work after the holiday breaks (at least for some):

Here is the last pics from Aalesund for now: (I promise)

Blue enough to enter into the Febr. photo competition, but the quality doesn't measure up to the professionals, I'm afraid.

If some of these pics are re-cycled from earlier postings under this thread, or others, I apologize.

Comment

....Blue enough to enter into the Febr. photo competition, but the quality doesn't measure up to the professionals, I'm afraid....
                You are way too modest Ombugge. Something happened to the focusing of the Tide Express/Tide Lyn shot, but otherwise a bit of horizon straightening here and there, and you’re into “competition class” – I so enjoyed these and am just looking back at my favourites actually:

That first one in #906 would have been great for my Skyscape 365!
                Sukkertoppen – ROCKS! – and I love the name too.
                Last one in #906 – well actually I do really like the view on that day – a little white snow, the straw colour of the grass and the grey-blue of the sea is such a delicate pleasing colour combination, and I can imagine myself walking onto those rocks and finding a place to sit for a while (on a warmer day! )

And then you have more nice skies, including the comfort veranda ones. . .

The snow in the street with the cosy lights in the shops and all the snowflakes falling is wish-I’d-been-there atmospheric. And a great picture of Tide Express at the new terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                  You are way too modest Ombugge. Something happened to the focusing of the Tide Express/Tide Lyn shot, but otherwise a bit of horizon straightening here and there, and you’re into “competition class”
                  I'm not too modest, my simple "point and press" Olympus mini Digital camera (4.0 MP and 2 x optic zoom) is.

I have never been into photography and normally only use the camera to take pictures to show condition of vessel, whether good or bad and with little consideration to the "artistic composition", or straight horizon for that matter.
                  It is a tool, nothing else and always on Auto. (Maybe I'll read the instruction manual to see what this little thing can actually do)

I must admit that I start to think a little more about such things when I take pictures with the intention of possibly posting them on CVF, but far from enough to get into the "competition class".

Thanks for the kind words anyhow.
                  Last edited by ombugge; January 28th, 2010, 18:43.

Comment

The Old Aalesund

Not to let Aalesund drop off the radar, so to speak, I'll post some old pictures from Aalesund, taken after the 1904 Fire but before WWII, which I found on the Internet.

Since I haven't got the option to take "Before and Now" pictures to match, I challenge any CVF members going to Aalesund this summer to match some of these with their own pictures and post them on the Norway before and now thread. (Or TNAalesund -Thorbjorn, if he still visits here)

Scandinavie Hotel -1928:

Hellebroa - 1922:

St Olavs Plass - 1910: (North)

St Olavs Plass - 1922South)

Kongens Gate - 1922: (South)

Kongens Gate - 1922: (North)

Skansekaia from Brunholmen - 1927:

Skansekaia & Moljaa from Skateflua - 1938:

Comment

Skansekaia and Aksla from Moljaa - 1927:

Moloveien - 1927:

Fjellstua from Brunholmen - 1938:

Aspoya from the Valderoy fjord - 1925:

The classical Hurtigruten arrival picture -1906:

Taken from Brunholmen - 1938:

This one comes with the extra challenge; Name of ship?

A view of Borgundfjorden and Langevaag from Aksla - 1927:

The original Fjellstua - 1922:

It later bunt down. (Does anybody know when?)

Comment

Taken from Brunholmen - 1938:

This one comes with the extra challenge; Name of ship?
                        Looks like either Prinsesse Ragnhild or Dronning Maud.... both NFDS ships and sisters.
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

The original Fjellstua - 1922:

It later bunt down. (Does anybody know when?)
                          The original Fjellstua was burnt down in 1934.
                          The new one was buildt in concrete, and has been rebuilt many times.
                          Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Panorama of Aalesund seen from helicopter.

Fabulous pictures.

Pictures of Ålesund
                            Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Originally posted by Oistein View Post
                              Panorama of Aalesund seen from helicopter.

Fabulous pictures.

Pictures of Ålesund
                              A very nice find Oistein! Beautiful panorama shots!

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Not to let Aalesund drop off the radar, so to speak, I'll post some old pictures from Aalesund, taken after the 1904 Fire but before WWII, which I found on the Internet.

Since I haven't got the option to take "Before and Now" pictures to match, I challenge any CVF members going to Aalesund this summer to match some of these with their own pictures and post them on the Norway before and now thread. (Or TNAalesund -Thorbjorn, if he still visits here)
                                I posted this challenge and some old pictures from Aalesund a few weeks ago.
                                I'll repeat it now, since we now know that a certain roving Seagull will be visiting Aalesund on 28. July.
                                If you are not too busy with the QM2, Maasdam and the maneuvering of Hurtigruta through Moljegapet, maybe we could have some Now pictures to go with my Before pictures?

I'll also throw in another old picture. This one from an area of Aalesund that doesn't normally feature on postcards, or touristy photos:

Steinvaagsundet - 1927, with Statens Fryseri in the foreground.

This may be stretching your time and planned program for the day a bit, but it would be interesting to see the results you come up with, as opposed to my wintry pictures, shot with a pocket camera.

Comment

Working...
                                X