Scandic Holmenkollen Park, Oslo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scandic Holmenkollen Park, Oslo

Just back from a week with the family in Oslo. Although I've been going to Oslo for 22+ years, we've always stayed in the same place - but things change, people move on, and it was time to try somewhere else. This is the magnificent Holmenkollen Park, clinging onto the hill just down from the Ski Jump.

Amazing building.

Has had may lives, TB sanatorium, hotel, conference centre etc., etc.

Great view over town and the fjord, this was from our fifth floor balcony.

Mind you - as anyone that knows Oslo will tell you - this is the prettiest bit, but with the worst weather!

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Funny really, I used to work on this hill - I was part of the team that put the signalling and control systems on the Holmenkollbanen that snakes its way up from Majorstuen to Frognerseteren, back in the late 1990s, but never stayed up here. Certainly didn't have time to take the camera out during the blue hour in those days - next time I'll bring a tripod too.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• nari
      nari commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the detail and sheer elegance of these buildings and their colourful presentations.

• Tommi
      Tommi commented
      Editing a comment
      Now, that's a fantastic building!

Marvellous, Mark! Wonderful National Romantic Style architecture, and I was so excited to see such splendid Polo Style photos of a familiar place.
    It's familiar because I once stayed there. It was a Rica hotel at the time.

Thought I'd just about got time, before all my Photobucket photos are due to become history in a couple of days, to look up and give you the link to a Seagull Style 'Hotel Room View' in that thread. I also remember taking the view from a balcony while exploring the old building.

But time flies as well as seagulls, and to my astonishment I've realised that my stay in Holmenkollen predates not only the existing forum but also the preceding 'old forum' when Jan-Olav was still resident in Thailand. In fact it was even before I had heard of CaptainsVoyage!

Oh and with all this reminissing I'm nearly forgetting to tell you that, in a close tie with #1/1, your moody worst-weather image (#1/4) is my favourite!

Comment

Thanks Cecilia. Yup, Rica disappeared a few years ago when everything moved to Scandic.

If I understand my Norwegians accurately, I think that Mr Rivelsrud (the chap that 'was' Rica) still owns at least a portion of Holmenkollen Park.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Absolutely wonderful place that I honestly have NEVER been to myself! The image taken during the fog is my absolute favourite. Such a mood!

How was the room? Would love to see your take on the room(s) there.

I bet the level of service and atmosphere at the hotel was outstanding.

I wonder also, does this hotel have a national heritage status? With such a national-romantic structure, I would find it strange if it doesn't have a protected status.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Room was fine - not too expensive (in Norwegian terms) - quite a good spring deal through the Scandic frequent guest scheme. Not a hugely plush or posh hotel, just homely and pleasant, much like most of the other Scandics. Breakfast was brilliant.
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
          Room was fine - not too expensive (in Norwegian terms) - quite a good spring deal through the Scandic frequent guest scheme. Not a hugely plush or posh hotel, just homely and pleasant, much like most of the other Scandics. Breakfast was brilliant.
          Checked their rooms out at hotels.com last night. It appears as some rooms have been refurbished / modernized and some not. The old style rooms are very typical for Norway mid-to-late 80's kind of room, and the new rooms are truly beautiful. A night in August runs at about 1200NOK per night.

I presume you stayed in one of the modernized rooms.

For the rest of the property and their images on hotels.com, it's a little above average hotel when it comes to decor and style. Naturally, I could be wrong, pictures doesn't always tell the truth and might not give the right impression.

For many hotels in Oslo, Norway or anywhere else in the world, they could have found great help by hiring one of our CVF Official Photographers.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
          X