Fairmont Lake Louise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairmont Lake Louise

A few weeks ago we took a trip to Alberta, Canada and stayed at the Fairmont Chateau at Lake Louise and this was the view from our room:

Last edited by pilotdane; February 15th, 2018, 04:19. Reason: <blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/Yclqp"><a href="//imgur.com/Yclqp"></a></blockquote><script async src="

Welcome to Canada

Comment

In December this region of Canada was making our new for their record snowfall so Kelly and I looked at each other and said "sounds like a good time to visit". A quick search on the Internet showed that Banff Lake Louise was having an Ice Magic Festival in January so we quickly put a trip together. We arrived the first day the ice carving at Lake Louise began so we saw the contestants begin with their blocks of carving ice. Over the coming days we saw them go from ice cubes to works of art.

Comment

In addition to official judging they had a "people's choice" where we got to vote. This was the one I picked and they ended up winning the people's choice and tied for first in the official judging.

Comment

Oh, and the room was quite nice. We had booked the cheapest of their "gold" level rooms. When we arrived they upgraded us to having a lake view and to a larger room. Kelly put together a spreadsheet to determine if the benefits of the gold level room to see if the cost was worthwhile. By the time we figured in the included breakfast, dinner and ski guide it was cheaper to reserve the more expensive room.

One benefit of our room was a "free" ski guide. It wasn't an instructor or lessons but someone to go skiing with us and show the way around the Lake Louise Ski Resort, what the best runs were and which sections only had black diamonds as the way down. I was really excited for this trip so I exercised hard the 6 weeks before the trip so I was in good shape. Before lunch the guide took me off to some of the tougher sections of the mountain. As my 50th year was on me I decided this was my last chance to really hit it hard. So, for the first time I skied a "back bowl" and more than once I found myself at the top of a mountain thinking "oh, shit! what did I get myself into" with the guide saying "avoid the rocks you can see and don't worry about the cliffs you can't see... just ski over them like they weren't there"

I had planned on also skiing at Norquay near Banff but I had such a perfect day at Lake Louise that I shouldn't tempt my luck and tear out a knee by being too "greedy".

Comment

Looks teriffic! I am convinced you had a great time !
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Ahhh.... wonderful Canada!

Great hotel room view... you can even watch the people on their ice-skates from your room! The ice-sculpture in post number four is absolutely stunning... never seen anything like that ever in my life. WAOW!
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• nari
                nari commented
                Editing a comment
                Moraine Lake was my favourite lake in the Rockies. Amazing rocky shoreline but smooth, neat rocks.
            Working...
            X