• Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the morning ferry - Gorinchem VIII:

Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

wow I love the cliff villa in #371..... my favourite one ..

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

I don't usually post our hotel pictures - partly because the views usually end up in other threads, or because we don't have a view! I'm not complaining, we stay in some really good hotels offering excellent value for money.

However, one from this summer's trip probably does deserve to appear on here. Not the biggest - or even the most well appointed - hotel room we've ever stayed in, and certainly a bit expensive, but this was one remarkable place - Strandflickornas Havhotell, Lysekil in Sweden.

Strandflickorna (Beach Girls) hotel is just out of the central bit of Lysekil, close to the beach and the Seal Safari amongst other things. We though long and hard before booking it, but it seemed to have a very high Trip Advisor rating. OK, so we know why now.

More about the hotel here: www.strandflickorna.se

So firstly a view from the hotel (rather than from our room - we had a nice view of the car park and tennis court).

And a little further around:

From the viewpoint just behind the hotel it didn't look too much:

But from the rocky mound that lay between the main hotel and its rather glamourous conference facilities and two 'special rooms', you started to get the impression that this is a little different.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

So what is special about this place? Well, it's been around for some years, with the ladies that run it having put loads of personal touches in to make this hotel unique. Everywhere you turn there is some little detail, ornament or knickknack that you're not expecting.

You start to get the idea at the front:

And in the porch.

The little courtyard area in the back was full of flowers, battling against the sea breeze and salt spray - about 3 weeks behind what we have at home, but all the more vivid and bright for the struggle they'd put in.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Each of the rooms are themed. There's the room that the King stayed in - a very long time ago, the Turkish Consul's room, Captain Ludwig Pihl's room - each individually decorated, and each with mementoes and ornaments relevant to the person they're named after.

To my eternal shame I never did work out whose room we stayed in, but he'd left his hat and laundry there.

This place has appeared in countless 'Homes and Gardens' type magazines - loads of 'photo specials' with the ladies posing in their 19th Century bathing costumes and lots of pretty pictures of white furniture with blue tablecloths, plants everywhere, strange ornaments, the lot. There are several of these articles in the folder in each room - and in many ways you don't get the true impression of the place until you realise quite how staged it is.

Yes, it was all a little twee, and the room was about 1/3 of the size of our cabin on Color Magic - BUT the Strandflickornas were lovely, friendly people, the evening meal (death by prawns) was WONDERFUL, the position was magnificent, and it was quirky beyond measure. I'm fairly sure we'd chose to stay there again.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Mm-mmmm-mmm, quirky! But at least it's different from the usual run-of-the-mill hotels, whether budget or luxury.
            Ivy

Comment

• PoloUK
              PoloUK commented
              Editing a comment
              Absolutely. We stayed in a real mixture this trip, and often the cheaper ones were the more friendly and pleasant to be in. This one was definitely special though.

Seems to be a very warm and genuine place to stay at.
            Reminds me quite a lot of Hotell Solliden in Stenungsund.

Comment

Absolutely a typically delightful "Polo" report, whose images marvellously suit Sweden and summertime and this kind of place to stay. I've kept coming back to it and started writing appreciative comments only to be distracted into remembering places it reminded me of.

It is as if I've stayed in many places in Sweden that each shared some aspect of Strandflickornas Havhotell, but not all together! So many red and white buildings just like this, places tucked in between rocks, places with tiny gardens with tubs and troughs and pots of flowers, bedrooms like this with pretty wallpaper, I did once stay in a place where Linnaeus once visited, and my room bore his name and had appropriate books and botanical prints, and, perhaps less obviously themed, I’ve stayed in rooms that have a teddy bear in residence, or an old-fashioned doll.

So thanks not simply for sharing Mark, but for the many memories, and for your charming photography.

Comment

I have just had a trip to Guernsey and over to Herm a lovely little Island. staying at ... The White House Hotel.....no TV,, no Phones and no Cars.... a touch of heaven ... Perfect weather too.

view from room, the tide was out.

gardens and path to hotel

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

• pilotdane
                  pilotdane commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice lawn furniture with a view. I could drink a cokctail on the lawn and watch the tide come in.

• kiki42
                  kiki42 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yes the lawn furniture was placed all along the front of the hotel, where everyone sat and had drinks before dinner . lovely setting looking out to sea. There was also an outdoor swimming pool further along.

this was our family room at the Royal hotel Skye.. . the photo with the poster was just opposite the hotel ., the harbour was below

Comment

Here is the view from the 19th floor of the Pine City Hotel in Shanghai.

If you look to the right, off in the distance some of the well known Shanghai skyline can be seen in the distance. For now we are in a non-tourist area near Fudan Medical College. In a few days we will move down to a more tourist location on the river in the Bund.

Comment

We've changed hotels to the Hyatt on the Bund. Our room is on the 19th floor and has two windows. Since the building is curved we have a slightly better view of the Pudong skyline from one but a terrific view of river traffic out of both. The coating on the glass is not the most uniform so photography is not the best and i'm frustrated when I try to get a better view of the boats with my binoculars.

Comment

This is the CORAL BEACH HOTEL/RESORT near PAPHOS My room with lovely views .

Comment

Comment

Beautiful location, Kiki!
                          Ivy

Comment

• kiki42
                            kiki42 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            it was Cecilia . The hotel was amazing, so much character . I felt so comfortable being there on my own. there was a bus stop, taxis , car hire, shop, and two restaurants opposite the hotel .. the hotel had its little harbour where you can book all kinds of sea sports . So everything for any age group ... I loved it..

• wherrygirl
                            wherrygirl commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hey, I'm Ivy!

• kiki42
                            kiki42 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            so sorry Ivy... I saw Cecelia's name at the start of this thread . I think my mind is still on holiday ... lol
                        Working...
                        X