• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The room was unremarkable, but the Hotel itself has some nice features:

The open atrium with the lobby and front desk:

Comment

The beach is not exactly crowded on a weekend afternoon:

Terengganu has adopted Friday as their day of rest, with Thursday as their "start of weekend".
      (Since most of Malaysia and the world has their weekend on Saturday/Sunday, not much is left for efficient working)

Sand bag protection is in place at the Oasis Hut due to the NE Monsoon, which has just started:

Not much of a sunset over the South China Sea, since this is on the east coast of the Malayan Peninsular:

Comment

The next morning the Monsoon front arrived, with strong wind and heavy rain. Flood warning was issued for this part of the country.

Here you can see why the sand bags had been placed to protect the Oasis Hut bar:

A closer look: (from the room window)

Comment

Liked the stepped design of the floors of the building in #361, the space and colourful floor of the atrium, and your sea view. Great documentary of the contrast of that still-looking sea and beach and the monsoon later.

Comment

THE CLARION COLLECTION WITH HOTEL TROMSO NORWAY. CHRISTMAS 2013 A simple friendly hotel overlooking the harbour. .
            view from my room.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Well, that is the perfect view out of a hotel room!
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• kiki42
                kiki42 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes Ralf , That was taken at the lightest part of the day, but at night it looked just as pretty with all the lights.. I think the boats were moored for the winter, never saw many leave , only the tourist one going out in search of the Northern Lights . The hotel is simple but friendly and ideal position for everything you want to do, and the great thing it is only 15 mins from the airport. . Tromso is lovely with the mountains all around covered in snow. I bet it looks as pretty in the summer too. Regards Christine

My over-three-week trip to Thailand and third to that country was only booked shortly before I set off. It, or at least a part of it, had been in my mind for over a year but had been continually postponed due to domestic reasons. By the time I was able to get away, a further complicating factor had arisen. Not that I was in any way at all deterred by the political situation that had surfaced again in Thailand - indeed it presented me with welcome possibilities. Those apart, I aimed at keeping my arrangements flexible, avoiding inconveniences such as road closures that I could have encountered had I depended on crossing Bangkok between airports to a tight schedule.

So my trip was punctuated by three separate one-night stays at the Novotel at Suvarnabhumi (the main Bangkok airport, BKK). It's one of the nicer 'airport hotels of the world' actually, where I am more than happy to relax after a long flight rather than choose immediate ongoing connections. So yes, it has featured before in this thread, and this time I need only mention and illustrate the variations in the rooms and views! You will find my previous visits in #127-130, and in #136-139.

Novotel, Suvarnabhumi Airport
              Bangkok, Thailand.
              8 March 2014
              Room 2520

This room looks exactly the same as that of my first visit to the hotel shown in #127 but has a view towards the swimming pool, which you saw in photos from my subsequent visit in post #136.
              This time it was late afternoon when I arrived, and so I just took a photo as the sun was nearly setting behind the opposite side of the hotel.

An attempt to photograph the tower and pool view later that night. (I should perhaps have explained that as one can't open the windows, the views are very dependent on the state of the window glass and on avoiding reflections.)

Bathroom detail.

Comment

19 March 2014
                Room 2508

Also a pool view room, nearer a corner:

This visit was in one respect my least satisfactory experience at the hotel, for the room felt like walking into a greenhouse. It was clear the air conditioning wasn't on, and in a sun-facing room too. However the problem was soon rectified once reported - I suspect the room hadn't been completely ready, or I'd been given the wrong room, for suddenly the TV burst into life with a welcome message (less the personalised name) along with the air conditioning. The guy who'd arrived showed me how to adjust the setting once the temperature had dropped to a comfortable level, but I'm not sure I ever got the customary fruit and chocolates.

These little extras come with a business-class room, which also has a special check-in desk in the business lounge and includes breakfast. It doesn't work out very much more expensive than the standard room options, especially if one wants breakfast. On this occasion one of the restaurants in the hotel was being refurbished, and so not all the usual dinner menu options were available. The complimentary food and drinks in the business lounge at c0cktail time easily satisfied my appetite.

I headed to the business lounge right away (while my room cooled down!), and being the first there when food and drinks were served I had the opportunity to take a couple of photos.

Pleasant and relaxing surroundings, taken from my favourite table.

After a starter selection and four hot items, there was this array of deserts (which explains why I hadn't missed those in-room chocolates!)

Comment

28 March 2014
                  Room 2509

This time my room was the left/right-reversed layout. It's a strange thing, but I prefer this with the bathroom and bed on the right as one enters. I can't explain why. They are exactly the same size and alike in every other respect, but to me it just somehow seems more comfortable! In my flat the bed and most of the space is on the left as one enters so it isn't that determining what 'feels better'. On the other hand D's living room is on the right of the hall, but I recollect once visiting one of his neighbours whose house is a mirror image of his, and thinking their living room felt better! I certainly have a rather particular and peculier sense of space and place, and maybe that is why I am so often mentioning in the ship sections of our forum about having favourite places to sit on deck and favourite chairs in the lounges and dining rooms. And I've just realised that I mentioned a favourite table in the business lounge in the previous post!

This time my room had a view into the atrium of the hotel.

View from my room looking to the left, later that evening.

Comment

Nice treat for a Tuesday evening - Thai hotels!

Very Thai - but my favorite table would be by the window!
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Seagull
                      Seagull commented
                      Editing a comment
                      hehe...if I saw you sitting by the window I just might consider joining you!!!!!

The other five resort hotels where I stayed in Thailand during the three-week visit were each special in their very different ways. I took so many photographs! So each hotel surely deserves its own thread here in our "Hotels" section.

This post is simply a summary of what is to follow when time allows. As an appetizer, I've added one photo for each, showing the view from my room.
                    ...…relax and enjoy!

Paresa Resort
                    Kamala, Phuket, Thailand.
                    9 - 10 March 2014

Cliff Villa 305

Apsara Beachfront Resort
                    Khao Lak, Thailand.
                    11 - 14 March 2014

Room 273

The Sarojin
                    Khao Lak, Thailand.
                    15 - 18 March 2014

Yuwadee Suite 207

Hilton Resort and Spa
                    Hua Hin, Thailand.
                    20 - 23 March 2014

Room 1601

Centara Grand
                    Hua Hin, Thailand.
                    24 - 27 March 2014

Room 153

Over time as they are posted, I'll add links here to the individual hotel threads,
                    and also links to other images of Phuket, Khao Lak and Hua Hin in the Thailand Section of the forum.

Comment

WAOW... those are some pretty stunning hotels.

Tell you a secret, I have never seen the view from Hilton in Hua Hin! I been to the hotel for work MANY times, but never had the opportunity to see the view... it was always right in and then out again!
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Room With a View?
                        I have twice stayed in the Florence hotel where E. M. Forster wrote that, but what would the author have thought of these views from my balcony in Woudrichem?

Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I have forgotten to post room view photos. This was the view from the Marriott Portland Waterfront last month. My wife went with me on my Business trip to Orlando Florida in February so I went along when she had a conference in Portland. We took a few days to do tourist things then I visited breweries while she was working.

Being in the Pacific northwet the area lived up to it's reputation with some rain.

Comment

Further view from my Woudrichem balcony, the tug Veerhaven VIII:

Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
                            X