World hotel room views

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    Guess what, Lady C... we have stayed at the same hotel....
    Awwwww….and not for the first time …I think we’ve both stayed at Bakeriet in Trondheim for example. But to have crossed paths in provincial Thailand!

I believe it was previously a Sheraton hotel, but I don’t think it will have changed much from when you were there…quite a feel of earlier decades in a way. I expect I experienced it at its best because of the prestige and excitement of the royal visit!

Comment

Re: World hotel room views

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
      Awwwww….and not for the first time …I think we’ve both stayed at Bakeriet in Trondheim for example. But to have crossed paths in provincial Thailand!

I believe it was previously a Sheraton hotel, but I don’t think it will have changed much from when you were there…quite a feel of earlier decades in a way. I expect I experienced it at its best because of the prestige and excitement of the royal visit!
      Unfortunately, I can not recall what the name was back then, but surely, I remember some of the images you have taken.

But as mentioned, this was a while before digital cameras came into use, and hence, there is a lack of record.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Rimpao Hotel, Kalasin, Thailand

Rimpao Hotel
        Kalasin, Thailand

Room 302
        1 December 2011

The conference continued with field trips, and I chose the two day option which took me north, and included an overnight stop in Kalasin.

The view taken next morning.

The view looking further round to the right.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Charoen Thani Hotel, Khon Kaen, Thailand

Charoen Thani Hotel
              Khon Kaen, Thailand

Room 1221
              2 December 2011

At the end of the second day of the field excursion, accommodation was arranged in Khon Kaen.

Comment

More views from the hotel room on the 20th floor, taken the following morning.

Comment

In the distance on the left can be seen the pagoda Phra Mahathat Kaen Nakhon which I visited that morning. I took many photos, but for now there is one already posted in the “Skyscape” thread.

Comment

Hotel Reception

Breakfast

Comment

Wow, 145:2, feels like I'm standing in a giant marble hall and walking into a piece of furniture! What more could one demand of a hotel entrance???

Comment

Needless to say, but I do miss Thailand a whole lot... traveling around and having the day at my disposal for photography, eating and meeting people.
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                          .... having the day at my disposal for photography, eating and meeting people.
                          Ahhhh, the PERFECT combination of activities indeed!
                          …though one might have to squeeze in going to work sometimes!
                          In a different kind of job, I do wonder how you’d find having just two days off at weekend instead of regularly having two weeks off.

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
                          Wow, 145:2, feels like I'm standing in a giant marble hall and walking into a piece of furniture!....
                          You’d feel like royalty Tommi ….music and flower garlands too.

Comment

At the time the conference and travel arrangements were made, I had ensured I had flexible flight arrangements from Khon Kaen back to Suvarnabhumi, plus a couple of extra days before the return flight home so as to allow for flood related delays and changes. I hadn’t therefore pre-arranged accommodation in Bangkok.

Having stayed in the Sukhumvit area on a previous visit, I had thought it would be interesting to base myself in a different area, and had fancied proximity to the river, but of course this was the area most likely to be flood affected. But by the time I was due to head for Bangkok, the worst, at least in the central area of the city, seemed to be over and hotels were beginning to return to normal and anxious to attract guests back. Then following a conversation about Bangkok hotels in general, and the relative merits of two prestigious luxury hotels – the Oriental and the Peninsula – in particular, the opportunity arose to stay at both!…an experience to make the most of.

These hotels face each on opposite sides of the Chao Phraya river. I stayed two nights at the Peninsula, before ending this extraordinary visit to Thailand at the Oriental on the day of the King’s Birthday.

Here are my “hotel room views” – inside and out – but of course I took many more photographs which will appear subsequently in individual threads.

Comment

Peninsula Hotel, Bangkok

Peninsula Hotel
                              Bangkok, Thailand

Room 2806
                              3 – 4 December 2011

View from my room on the 28th floor. The brightly lit riverside buildings on the left of the photo are the Oriental Hotel.

Comment

Interior of this “Balcony Room”.

Comment

Working...
                                X