No announcement yet.

Paresa Resort, Phuket, Thailand.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And so it was nearly time for me to leave Parisa.

As I said with Jan-Olav some posts ago, there is now a great deal of choice of resorts at the luxury end of the market. This extraordinary resort will perhaps require more attention to maintenance as time goes by than its less location-challenged competitors. Indeed, as I watched painting in progress on the railings of a walkway, it suddenly struck me that it must be rather like maintaining a ship.

That comparison set off other thoughts. Parisa is surely not for everyone, just like taking a holiday voyage aboard a Hurtigruten ship isn't for everyone. I don't follow travel forums and sites to the extent I used to back in pre CaptainsVoyage days, but I have come across some exasperatingly negative reviews and comments of both Parisa and Hurtigruten that make me want to scream at those who seem to want these unique travel experiences to be something they are not. Some such folk may have been uninformed before making a booking and it is not surprising that their expectations aren't met - but others simply just don’t "get it".

But then there are those who do….

It seems hardly believable that this is only a couple of days into my Thailand trip! The journey continues in new threads for Apsara Resort here in the hotel section, and for “This is Khao Lak” across in Kingdom of Thailand.
    Last edited by Seagull; July 12th, 2014, 18:19.

Comment

Looking through this thread again, certainly makes me miss my "previous" life back home in Thailand.

Then again, it all seems so remote, such a long time ago - almost not even like my own life.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Again i must say: a paradise! But i saw last week a TV report about Turkish resorts. Everything was fine and the staff was friendly, but in Turkey they earn with such jobs only 300 € per months. This is way to less to survive! So for me this has all a kind of a bad taste. But in Thailand praobaly not so worse and better as to have no job. But as everywhere, also in the cruise industry - only a few are earning the big money - the alternative? Spend individual holidays, travel, eat and live local! But again: i don't want to spoil your paradise. I hope the situation there is not as worse as in the cheap all-inclusive offers in Turkey.... it came just in my mind!
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

No, you haven’t spoiled my paradise Ralf But of course you raise various issues and many interesting related (and even OT!) trains of thought.
          I always feel that in Thailand the term "resort" is used for a much wider range of establishments than that description brings to my mind. It particularly struck me on my first tour in Thailand that there was accommodation with resort in the name that was located inland!

That's just a Lady C thing though. To me the word 'resort' is a description of a town whose prosperity was based on the holiday trade - like Blackpool, where I happened to grow up! These towns were always by the seaside (except in Switzerland where there were 'ski resorts').
          Then from the late 60's and 70's the traditional British resorts had to compete with increasing air travel and cheap package holidays, initially to Spain. I had no personal family experience of any of this social history, but I realise that at some point developers started building holiday accommodation beside unspoilt beaches away from towns - and the word 'resort' took on the other meaning of specific holiday accommodation.

Yes Ralf, we get those TV documentaries in the UK too (as well as the sensational kind e.g. about beach parties and backpacking youth on holiday in Thailand which must have many a parent rushing to lock up their kids passports!)

I think there surely exist low paid jobs (relative to the local economy and cost of living), and even exploitation of workers in Thailand as in Turkey and more or less everywhere else (including, as you mentioned, cruise ships - and indeed in the UK hotel and restaurant sector exacerbated by the influx of workers from an expanded EU). I don’t believe that was the case in this particular resort I loved so much. You have to think of the 'resort' as a prestigious high-end hotel attracting career service-industry professionals. One of the staff I spoke to had previously worked in the next place I stayed, and he clearly looked on his move as a career progression.

Well Ralf, that next place I stayed was actually my first ever experience of the kind of beach resort enjoyed by so many of our fellow compatriots who are wanting to be first with their towels at the sun beds around the pool! . Although I was looking for cheaper accommodation for this bit of my trip, the reason I didn't stay at a nearby and alluringly-named guesthouse, "Pakarang Villa", was that it was just a bit too far and inland from where I wanted to be able to take local walks, especially along the beach in the evening.

I do very much enjoy architecturally interesting hotels, both modern and traditional and sometimes expensive; also hotels' superior rooms if they have an ambience and view I consider worth paying for (think the balcony rooms at Seilet Hotel in Molde for example), and these are all the kinds of places you probably associate me with. But, as I'm sure I've mentioned in the forum many times, I've also very much loved staying in cabins and hostels especially in Scandinavia. But those places are often too inconvenient for a non-driver limited to public transport. So your "travel, eat and live local" philosophy is often not practical for me, for example, Ralf, your delightful Tuscany farmhouse or current accommodation in Denmark, and such places are more geared to families or friends travelling together.

In Thailand the language barrier and suchlike perhaps makes finding and booking suitable places less straightforward than in Europe (though there are plenty of apartment type places in for example seaside resorts like Hua Hin), and I see an increasing number of rural "homestay"-type arrangements advertised through various agencies. But maybe not so easy to be sure of the details of that kind of thing without a personal recommendation.

So perhaps we in CVF should indeed take up our Captain's call when he wrote with so much passion:
          Originally posted by pakarang View Post
          Now, that is an advertisement nobody can ever set a price on.
          So, when shall I be the guide to Thailand for the CVF-family? Anyone want to join up?
          I'm waving my arms madly and shouting “Me, Me!”, though of course, like you Ralf, I have always that care and concern for our Captain, that "I have to take care of you" feeling.

But if he is going to go there anyway...

Comment

Working...
          X