Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild food

Yesterday we went to a wild party!!!
    No, not that kind of wild, but different kinds of "wild meat".

We first had a Chinese herbal soup made with wild river turtle meet. Unfortunately I for got to take a picture, but you can take my word for it, it tasted better than the normal one, made from farmed turtles.

This may not look as good as Asimut's Spanish squirrels, but it tasted good:

Next dish was curry made from Armadillo meat:

This a small local variety of the species, not the Texas variety.

Finally some wild boar meet with strong Mexican chilli:

Just three out of a total 10 dishes served and not including desert, which was fresh Durian.

Re: Wild food

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    Finally some wild boar meet with strong Mexican chilli:
    Looks delicious. I am going boar hunting in a couple days so hopefully we can try making that dish ourselves.

Comment

Ok, I've got wild boar. What did the dish taste like?

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
        Ok, I've got wild boar. What did the dish taste like?
        It tasted good, but I don't have the recipe. That is probably a secret of Ah Peng, the chef:

All I know is that it contained strong Mexican chillies and tasted good.
        By the look of it the ingredients must have been some curry and/or saffron and some lemon grass and herbs, among other things.
        When you come visiting I can take you there to ask Ah Peng himself.

PS> The restaurant kitchen may not look like much, but he makes some amazingly good food there. I have known him for at least 30 years and have never had any problems after eating at his place, either when he was in Singapore, or at the present place in Johor Bahru.

Comment

A pound of this guy's tail is in tonight's gumbo.

Comment

What does alligator taste like compared to other flesh, Dane?
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• ombugge
              ombugge commented
              Editing a comment
              Much like Crocodile, I suspect??

• wherrygirl
              wherrygirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, witty, witty

• pilotdane
              pilotdane commented
              Editing a comment
              As much as I hate to say it alligator tail meat can be a lot like the white meat of chicken. The color, texture and taste are very similar though it is more sensitive to cooking. Over cooked it can become quite tough. It seems to absorb flavors better than chicken especially when soaked in an acid so we marinate it to give it different flavors.

Wifey (Kelly) has more time on the weekends so she tends to have fun cooking using more of our ingredients. Tonight we had venison (deer) loin steak, green beans, mashed turnip and mushrooms. The mushrooms came from the store and the salt we bought in Piran, Slovenia a few years ago but otherwise everything else came from our garden. Oh, and the Belgian Dubbel you can just see in the corner is one I brewed about 6 weeks ago and tapped on Friday..

Comment

Here in Singapore it is limited what kind of Wild meat you can get, but some types, like venison, are available in most restaurants and hawker centers. Turtles and frogs likewise. But all these are from farmed animals, not really wild meat.

Crocodile meat is fairly commonly available in restaurant and hawker centers, as there are a few Crocodile farms left in Singapore.
              As for the taste of Crocodile meat; it tastes much like chicken, just like Dane's alligator tails. It is low in fat and can be prepared in a number of ways.

Ostrich meat is quite popular in some restaurants and food centers, as it is low in fat.
              Kangaroo meat is available in specialized restaurants and gourmet shops, as is wildebeest and antelope meat from South Africa, among others.

Live snakes and snake meat used to be available in the market, but no more. In Hong Kong snake soup is still a popular dish in the winter, as it is said to keep the common cold away.

For more special types of wild meats, like wild boar, fruit bats, mouse deer etc. is easily available across the causeway, in Johor, but you can only take it home with you in your stomach.
              Sea turtle eggs are also to be found when in season, but is mostly available further up on the East coast, where the turtles come ashore in fairly large numbers still.

Insects, larvae, silk worn pupae and other creepy crawlies are not commonly eaten in Singapore and Malaysia, but very popular in Thailand and beyond.

Is it dangerous, or unethical, to eat any of the above??? The answer is probably that it depends on where you are from. City dwellers in Northern Europe and North America is mostly squeamish to anything other the most common meats and vegetables, while people living in the countryside may have a different attitude.
              What is is a delicatessen for some, is totally disgusting to others. Who is right and who is wrong can be debated.

According to an old Chinese saying; "anything is eatable as long as it turns it's back to the sun, except Wolf's heart and Dog's lungs". (I.e. as long as it is slaughtered, not died from decease)
              Don't bring a Chinese to the Zoo. All he will say is; "how to cook, lah???"

I personally draw the limit at Rat meat, which is a delicacy in part of China and Indochina, especially Vietnam.

For those who have problem with eating anything other than what they grew up with, I always ask; "do you eat sausages??? Do you ask; what is in them??

Bon Appetite!!!

Comment

The hogs/boar I hunt are an invasive species. Not native and harmful to the other animals so everyone wants them gone. North Carolina has removed all hunting restrictions on hogs except "no guns on Sunday". Bow & arrow, crossbow are OK on Sundays.

Alligator is a highly regulated animal. They once were hunted to dangerous levels but careful management has brought them back in large numbers. Where I hunt them in Florida the family farm raises alligators. Captive breeding is not very successful yet so they lease land to take alligators and eggs. They have to hire a biologist to do a survey to count the number and size of alligators. Then the report is submitted to the government and they determine how many alligators and eggs may be taken from each area. The hunting even on private land is heavily regulated and penalties are very still if you do not comply. You do not start your vehicle before you have applied the proper tag and the important information is documented in the log book.

Florida also has a lottery system where a certain amount of tags are offered via a drawing. If you are lucky you get the opportunity to harvest one alligator from a certain area of public land. It is an OK system if you live in Florida but difficult if you do not live in the area. Also since those hunts are on public lands they can be crowded especially on the first day of the season. Where I hunt it is private land that is very well guarded so you get a lot of land to work without being bothered and the day of the season is not important.

Comment

I suppose it depends on where you live if venison (deer) is "wild food" but it's a mildly interesting story. Last week my wife announced that there was no more venison in the freezer. Saturday I am in the shower and see three deer walk from the forest. I dried off quickly and ran to grab my crossbow (gun season does not open until mid-November). I very, very carefully cokced it (an appropriate term when cokcing a crossbow while naked) making sure to not get "anything" caught. What a sight as my wife held back a snicker at the naked fool went hunting for dinner.

Comment

• ombugge
                    ombugge commented
                    Editing a comment
                    WHAAAT, no pictures!!!
                    No, not of the deer but the hunter?

Oh, sorry. I have not checked back. Wifey has learned to be very still and quiet as I gingerly walked through the house so no action photos of me "cokcing" the crossbow. She did come out to get some photos of me doing the hard, unglamorous part. I hope this one is not too explicit. It does nicely show off the lighting of my Gator (off road vehicle). I have it outfitted with LED lighting so it can serve as a lighting platform and the engine at idle generates enough power so the battery is not drained.

Comment

• ombugge
                    ombugge commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That picture was kind of a letdown. Better one of the hunter, even if only "half ****ed".

Three more wild pigs and a alligator from my last hunt. Wifey has finally said stop. The freezer is full.

This hunt was quite easy and relaxing. No spear, trident or crossbow. Just a rifle from a safe distance... bang... and food in the freezer.

Comment

I flew to Florida but another person from my town drove down in his truck and he was nice enough to carry my coolers. So now we have 15 pounds of alligator tail and three pigs in the freezer. That should hold us well into 2015. The gators go to a processor where they are very fast and efficient. I keep the premium tail meat and body belly hide and in exchange for the labor they keep the rest of the meat and hide from the legs (do gators have arms?) and horn back.

Comment

Sounds like you and the wife can survive a snowy winter. Plenty of meat in the freezer, but hopefully cable TV for her and internet for you survive the big freeze.

If you should need a "pick-me-up", here is a possible receipt: http://www.vgtv.no/#!/video/103914/v...-drukket-dette
                      Problem may be to find the main ingredient in the frozen pond.

Comment

Kelly has gator and tomatillo stew cooking in the crock pot and the potatoes just went on the fire. After I took the picture I buried them in hot coals. They should be ready in about 30-40 minutes.

---
                        Our isolation is a pain since we do not have TV or Internet by wires but it forces us to have satellite. So, as long as we have power or I keep one of the generators going we will have TV and Internet. Many people in town are out of luck when weather takes the lines down.

Comment

Working...
                        X