scottish meal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scottish meal

in scotland i had a lovely meal of Haggis, neeps and tatties. ( translated is Haggis on the outside and filled with potatoes and turnip ) served with a lovely hint of whisky sauce . A photo should follow this, fingers crossed christine if it doesn't i will try again !!!!!!!!!!!

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
    in scotland i had a lovely meal of Haggis, neeps and tatties. ( translated is Haggis on the outside and filled with potatoes and turnip ) served with a lovely hint of whisky sauce . A photo should follow this, fingers crossed christine if it doesn't i will try again !!!!!!!!!!!
    sorry, i gather that didn't work, will read over the instructions again

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

a scottish meal

here i go again, fingers crossed !!!!!!!!!!! next question, how do i change the size of the photo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

next question, how do i change the size of the photo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        I usually resize my images on my pc before uploading to Photobucket, usually 800 x 600 or a size slightly larger

or

When you go into your Photobucket page, you'll see a green sign with the white text 'Upload Images and Videos' fairly large in the upper part of your screen. Right under that sign, there is a blue text that is clickable, saying '(more options)
        When you click at that text, you will see multiple options of sizees open up, and that will be sizes used automatically by Photobucket when you upload your images.
        Now I use 17" screen (1024 x 768) more than 800 x 600.

Hope all this was understandable, and if not..., please ask until you get it
        (I take it you use Photobucket, as I seem to remember reading that somewhere).

As for the Haggis...., I feel something working its way UP from my stomach, but hey, that's me.
        We talked about Haggis at work the other day, because we have someone there who has been on a sailing vacation to areas serving Haggis, and they said that despite knowing what it was made of, the taste was good and that was what was important.
        Because one could always flush it down with loads of beer
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          As for the Haggis...., I feel something working its way UP from my stomach, but hey, that's me.
          We talked about Haggis at work the other day, because we have someone there who has been on a sailing vacation to areas serving Haggis, and they said that despite knowing what it was made of, the taste was good and that was what was important.
          Because one could always flush it down with loads of beer
          Only one question Sterkoder, DO YOU EAT SAUSAGES????
          If so, do you know what is in them???

EDITH: With Haggies I recommend a wee dram.

Comment

We have lungemos (and blood pudding). The Scots have haggis. I have eaten it several times. Not what I prefer for my dinner, but tasting like lungemos (not my favourite, either). And yes, a wee dram.
            I prefer the scottish breakfast for the haggis.
            Regards; Sigve.
            ---
            IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

KIKI42 you did it. Pictures on CV at last. Congratulation, good job

Back to Haggis.
              Every year on the 25th of January or the nearest Saturday I have the pleasure of participating in Burns supper - Burns Night
              - the anniversary of Scotland's national poet. Its the NMWL - Norsk Malt Whisky Lag - Norwegian Malt Whisky Society that organize this.
              Haggis from MacSween in Edinburgh and a wee dram of Whisky is obvious. (maybee the dram gets a bit larger as the evening gets older)
              In Oslo we also have The Caledonian Society of Norway which also arrange the same supper.

Everyone ought to taste Haggis once before the say that they don't like it.
              And remember - the "sauce" is extremely important. Someone wants it smoked and prefer Lagavullin or Ardbeg,
              or even Octomore from Bruichladdich. Other prefere the more neutral as Glenmorangie or an triple distilled Auchentoshan
              or even an Irish Whiskey.
              Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post

EDITH: With Haggies I recommend a wee dram.
                Oh yes, I know what's in susages and not to mention minced meat (kjøttdeig).
                For that reason I should clearly NOT eat both, but do anyway, much because it appears more delicate than the Haggis..., I don't know...

But as I also said, the TASTE of the Haggis could be a gourmet meal worthy, and I can imagine very well a wee dram along

EDIT:
                And 'blodpølse' is one of my favourite meals, along with cooked potatoes and melted butter. I'm the only one in my household easting it, so that's something I make when my fellow family members are away for some reson.
                I have not said I didn't like Haggis, mind you..., as I've never tasted it. But this thread certainly makes my mouth water!
                Last edited by Sterkoder; October 1st, 2010, 14:08.

Comment

That is my standard question to everybody that comes here to Singapore and is afraid to eat anything they don't know from home.
                  Here you can get food from almost anywhere in the world and eating various things is a Singaporean obsession.

There is an old Chinese saying that goes; "Anything can be eaten as long as it turns it's back to the sun, except dog's lungs and wolf's heart"
                  (The last bit is used as a swear word)
                  In other words, anything that is dead from sickness ("laying belly up") should not be eaten.

I don't know where "Rakfisk" and "Smalahove" would fit in the above.

Comment

If you have seen my person live, you would instantly understand that I have no trouble with eating at all

My personal limit goes with frog, snake, insects/bug and the eyes from a smalahove...

Other than that, I'm a seafood lover..., ; whenever I see food, I eat it!
                    (I know, this joke works best oraly)

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      My personal limit goes with frog, snake, insects/bug and the eyes from a smalahove...
                      Pakarang can probably tell you a bit about the above. Bugs are a fairly common snack in Thailand and offered from street carts all over the place.
                      Snake Wine is also popular.

Like I said; if you can eat sausages you can eat anything.

EDITH: FYI I just finished a meal of Bockwurst.
                      Last edited by ombugge; October 1st, 2010, 17:13.

Comment

Like I said; if you can eat sausages you can eat anything.
                        Snakes? Cats? Dogs? Frogs? Maybe I prefer the haggis.

BTW: Rakfisk is a delicacy!!
                        Regards; Sigve.
                        ---

Comment

Originally posted by Sigve View Post
                          BTW: Rakfisk is a delicacy!!
                          Some would say it is "rotten fish", but I eat it.
                          It is actually a controlled fermenting process, I believe??
                          I prefer other fermenting processes though, like what goes with the rakfisk.

Comment

Pakarang can probably tell you a bit about the above. Bugs are a fairly common snack in Thailand and offered from street carts all over the place. Snake Wine is also popular.
                            Oh yes, frogs and snails are a delicacy! I'm a large fan of snails in garlic... escargot they call them. I'm always on the craving to have some... I might head down to Britannia hotel in Trondheim, where they supposedly are served.

When S comes to Trondheim, I might invite him to Britannia for a lunch and taste...

And bugs are quite delicious: a million times healthier than potato chips and full of proteins. These are among the things I miss from my life in Thailand..

And, yes, as ombugge stated, snake wine (and rice wine) is a good way to get the woozy feeling...
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

It is actually a controlled fermenting process, I believe??
                              A very well controlled process, I can assure you. Almost scientifically.
                              Enclosed a picture of a plate of rakfisk (rake fish) with potatoes, eggs, red onion, pastry, crisp bread, butter and a lot of other goodies. And of course; beer and a weeny dram! The rakfisk season starts in october/november, reaches its heights around X-mas. But if you deepfreese it, you can enjoy rakfisk any time during the year!
                              Bon Apetite, either it is rakfisk, haggis, cats or snakes...!

Regards; Sigve.
                              ---

Comment

Working...
                              X