X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HurtigruteMartin
    started a topic Norwegian FISH

Norwegian FISH

The most tasty fish-meal I have EVER eaten.

"Fish-symphony" from the fish-restaurant at BUD.

4 different fishes in each corner of the plate. Three was well known. "Breiflabb, Kveite and Piggvar". But in the last corner. Down at the left on the image was a fish I have never heard about before. The local name was "Sko-læst".

Can anyone please help me to identify that kind of fish ?????????

But a fish-meal at BUD out at Hustadvika is very recomended.

• Ralf__
    commented on 's reply
    There are two harmless possibilities:
    1. Some kind of fish look like this, do you know, which kind it was? Was it a horn-pike? There are also some eels looking blue-green.
    2. Fresh garlic is reacting with othe substances and turns out green-blue. Was this made with lots of garlic?

• ombugge
    replied
    Why has this fish got greenish blue blood, gill plate and tongue?? :

Anybody know???

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    Burp! Obviuosly you enjoyed it.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Yesterday's catch at Slinningsodden:

Today's breakfast:

The ruins after:

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    commented on 's reply
    WOW.Miam-miam (yummy).I'd like to taste this recipe.

• Seagull
    commented on 's reply
    Celebrity Chef! What a great post.

• ombugge
    replied
    There are a large variety of things in the ocean and fjords and along the beaches that has not been utilized much in Norway. One such thing is the humble squid (Akkar in Norwegian)
    Some years the fjords are full of squids, other years there are few, if any. There are little targeted catching of squids, but sometime it is hard to avoid getting them when aiming for other species.
    Yesterday our son caught a very big squid on a normal hook while fishing from shore:

With nothing to compare with it is hard to judge the length, but the body was over 40 cm from tip to the head. Add to that tentacles of 20-25 cm.

Being expertly stuffed with minced meat and steamed to perfection by my wife, it become a very good sunday lunch today:

Norwegians are starting to eat squid, at least as long as it is called Calamaris, not Akkar.
    Before it was regarded as bait for longlines only. Nobody in their right mind would eat bait.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Norwegian Fish a' Chips anyone??? : http://www.smp.no/naeringsliv/fisker...cle9487787.ece

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Here is an idea for those who have problem getting their kids to eat fish:

Fish cake with a smiley face. Made from Surimi, with some coloured strips.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    During a recent visit to our local branch of Coldstorage I noticed that the selection of Smoked Salmon was very limited and again NO Norwegian brands on display:

Yes it is Norwegian Salmon, but the brands are not.
    Why??? Maybe because the exporters don't put in enough marketing effort, or are unable to compete on price.

Coldstorage, being the largest supermarket chain in Singapore. They have carried up to several brands of Norwegian Salmon in the past should be prime target for any marketing effort.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Back in the early 1990s I was involved in concept planning a project to import whole frozen salmon and other seafood from Norway and to process it in this region (Johor or Batam) for sale within the ASEAN region, and beyond.

This was to include smoking, as well as marinating (Gravlax) etc. We intended to bring in from Norway an expert in the art of smoking fish, at least initially.
    Unfortunately the project never got going due to lack of funds, as usual.

Maybe time to revive the idea, to get Norwegian products back on the supermarket shelves in Asia? Free idea for anybody with initiative and money.
    Last edited by ombugge; January 12th, 2011, 09:39.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Now that you've mentioned salmon....as we are dethawing from the ice, etc...

My sense memory just kicked in.....I love salmon, but for some reason, I just instantly thought of this salmon soup I had in, of all places, the Helsinki airport, both coming and going to Russia in 1990!
    (now THAT is some sense memory!!!)

It was a clear broth, with chunks of salmon...Oh, my GAWD it was good. (Obviously...to remember it so well!)
    I can't describe it any further, really....it was just warm and light and delicious...........

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    The brand Norwegian Salmon is totally absent...
    That is correct!!!! The Salmon comes from Norway, for many of the brands, but processed in Finland, Denmark etc. WHY????
    There is even smoked salmon from New Zealand and Tasmania, where salmon is farmed, using Norwegian technology. (And smolt, originally)

The shelves used to be full of Norwegian products, but no more. Isn't Norwegian producers able or willing to compete on price??
    Fresh Norwegian Salmon is among the cheapest fish in the fresh fish counter, but Coldstorage hasn't had any Norwegian smoked salmon for quite a while. I don't know about other supermarket chains.
    Last edited by ombugge; January 12th, 2011, 09:11. Reason: Correction from salon to salmon

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Anybody notice something strange????
    The brand Norwegian Salmon is totally absent...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X