X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is your favorite cake?

Which is your favorite cake?

Oh, cakes, who doesn't like cakes?

I love cakes.... and my step-grandmother (and late mother) is/was a master at so many various cakes. My favorite cake for a long time has been the "romkake" (rum cake).... served as this one sample below.

The rum cake below was made by my mother and brought on board the Crystal Symphony when the ship came to Trondheim back in 2004 or 2003. We had a wonderful cake party on the bridge sailing out the Trondheims Fjord!

Yummy!

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Must think about this...but the first thing that comes to mind is Chocolate...or caramel...or carrot.....

Why did you mention this to me right now??? Now I'm hungry.......

Comment

Definitely COFFEE CAKE.

(But don’t even think about asking for a recipe.
      I'm more savory than sweet where actual cooking is concerned.)

Whilst not cake in the classic sponge cake sense, I have to add how much I LOVE these Swedish delicacies:

Punschrulle – green marzipan roll with a soft crumbly biscuity filling and the ends dipped in chocolate.

Mazarin –tart with almond paste filling and icing on top.

YUMMYYUMMYYUMMY.......

Comment

Battenburg Cake for me. It's my favourite by a long long way, although it wouldn't be good to put a shelf of them in front of me for free.

Ooooh, I want one now!!!!

Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
          Battenburg Cake for me. It's my favourite by a long long way...
          Excellent choice SaintsFCFan! Now why on earth didn’t I think of that one ????? – oh probably because I was limiting the choice to big round sponge cakes in the shape like the lovely one pakarang’s mother baked. (that was before I got thinking about what I choose in Swedish cake shops!)

But on the other hand there is rather a wide variation in Battenburg which would influence my voting for it. Sometimes there is rather too much jam and excess stickyness around and between the sponge sections which I find totally off-putting. Jam is of course delicious in other contexts, but out of place in a Battenburg.

[Big giggle I must just share with you all – I’ve just corrected a typo, the first word of the last sentence, where I realised I’d typed “Jan ]

My ideal Battenburg would have at least double the thickness of marzipan compared with what is normally deemed acceptable for a Battenburg. And I always sort of dissect my slice of that cake so that I can keep a big piece of marzipan for that very last lingering mouthful.

Comment

My favourite has to be ROMKAKE!!
            (That rum cake of Jan-Olavs mother looks delicious!!!!!!!!!!).

My second choise is the marsipan cake with creem inside, and on third place, the very tasty, but oh so sugary, Tårnkake (Tower Cake)

So there you go, now it's possible to at least have some idea about how you could please me, should we ever meet.
            And together with some seriously good coffee...., mmmmmmmm...., need I say more....?
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Is "tårnkake" and "kransekake" the same?

Oh, I love a good marzipan cake also... the best one I have ever eaten was on my birthday on Crystal Symphony... let me see if I have a picture of it.

It had bananas, cream, strawberries and raspberries, with a generous cover of marzipan... WAOW.....

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Is "tårnkake" and "kransekake" the same?
                Yes, of course! Sorry, for not mentioning that.
                In Kristiansund I belive we've always called it tårnkake, except for the bakers themselves, who called it kransekake
                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Oh... yesss.... both me and Sterkoder loves the "romkake" (rumcake)....

Battenburg cake of SaintsFCFan looks great too!.... wonder what's it made of?

Here is the rum-cake my mother brought to us navigators in 2003 when the ship came to Trondheim (fresh from the x-ray machine at the gangway to look for brake-out equipment..... ):

And the absolutely BEST marzipan cake I have EVER EVER tasted, from the chef's of the Crystal Symphony!

Comment

my favorite cake is nut cake with eggnog

greetings Doris

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                      Oh... yesss.... both me and Sterkoder loves the "romkake" (rumcake)....

Battenburg cake of SaintsFCFan looks great too!.... wonder what's it made of?
                      I think it's made of two coloured sponge's, jam and wrapped in marzipan.
                      Too much of it can be sickly.... er' um' I did once have too much and it was sickly.
                      Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

cakes

Hi pakarang, Was that your birthday cake from last year !!!!!!!!!!! my favourite cake is CARROT CAKE , i hate marzipan, I know its not a cake but my other favourite is a DANISH PASTRY.. gosh this is making me feel hungry, and not a cake in sight !!!!!!! kiki42

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                          I think it's made of two coloured sponge's, jam and wrapped in marzipan.
                          Too much of it can be sickly.... er' um' I did once have too much and it was sickly.
                          That sounds absolutely delicious!

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
                          Hi pakarang, Was that your birthday cake from last year !!!!!!!!!!!
                          Not last year, but that world's best marzipan cake was as much as 5 years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
                            ....I know its not a cake but my other favourite is a DANISH PASTRY....
                            Danish pastries here can be . . . errrr usually are . . . rather solid and stodgy. I will never forget the first real Danish pastry I had in, I was about to say Denmark, but it was actually across the Øresund in Skåne.
                            So light and fresh and totally melt-in-the mouth . . . nothing short of a revelation!

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                              Danish pastries here can be . . . errrr usually are . . . rather solid and stodgy. I will never forget the first real Danish pastry I had in, I was about to say Denmark, but it was actually across the Øresund in Skåne.
                              So light and fresh and totally melt-in-the mouth . . . nothing short of a revelation!
                              Those "thingies" we had in Copenhagen last year were to DIE for, weren't they, Seagull???

Comment

Working...
                              X