• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pakarang
    started a topic The helicopter thread

The helicopter thread

The helicopter thread

I thought we could make us an own helicopter (spotting) thread....

I start with this yellow-winged bird which landed at the coastal steamer dock a few days ago to pick up a patient for an ambulance flight to either Namsos or Trondheim.

Others, feel free to spot, photograph and share your helicopters wherever they may be in the world.

• Sterkoder
    commented on 's reply
    I would love it if they gave the AW101 the name 'Sea King'. That is a name that means SAVE to people, and even the call sign of 330 sqn. is 'Savior'

• pakarang
    replied
    Ah, yes, naturally... you are correct. SeaKing is not a nickname. SeaKing has been such a suitable and trademark name, I completely forgot that is actually the name of the helicopters.

Merlin sound nice too - unusual, but I'm sure within no time, we all refer to them as the Merlins of Norway.

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    I wonder what the nickname of the new rescue helicopters will be?
    The name of the new AugustaWestland AW101 is MERLIN.
    (Remember, SEA KING is not a nickname, so I guess the new chopper will fly under the name MERLIN).

I will miss the sound of the Sea King, a sound you'll hear a long way away...., and a relaxing sound to those in need of a rescue.
    (I'll also miss the design and name, but the beautiful Sea King can not fly forewer. Although, the USAF bomber B-52 produced from 1955 to 1962, (85 operative aircraft left) is now expected to fly throughout 2050. If they in 2050 make yet another update on the frame, software and hardware..., we might see an aircraft operative for over 100 years. That impresses me).

Thank you for nice comments, means a lot to me

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Brilliant photos of the SeaKing, Sterkoder. The "whitebalance" is spot on, at least on my screen, and there is a certain feeling of "being there" in those two images.

I'm sad to see these birds go, but do understand that their age is now catching up with them. If I was not mistaken, the new helicopters are starting to arrive in 2018(?).

I have been hoisted up into those three or four times in my nautical career. Twice outside Skattøra Safety Center north of Tromsø city center (1988 and 1990) and then at least once in connection with another safety course.... I THINK it was at Trondheim, but I feel a bit unsure.

I wonder what the nickname of the new rescue helicopters will be?

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    A RNoAF 330 sqn. Westland Sea King landed on the helipad at the local hospital late afternoon today. They loaded a person on a stretcher and flew on in the direction of Ålesund

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    A large helicopter making a quick stop on the roof of Saint Olav Hospital in Trondheim, for some reason:

Leave a comment:

• Jack Mulder
    replied
    NH-90 324

Leave a comment:

• Tommi
    commented on 's reply
    The company was former known as Eurocopter and American Eurocopter.

• Tommi
    replied
    Agusta Westland AW139, SE-JRI, Lifeguard 002 taking off from Strängnäs:

103A0133 by Tommi Rotonen, on Flickr

103A0146 by Tommi Rotonen, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Administrator
    replied
    I learn something new every day: I wasn't aware Airbus also made helicopters!

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Like your additions from Cold Responce Jan-Olav. Visiting Værnes once myself, I was glad to experience again the loud and characteristic flapping of the CH-53 and SuperCobra rotor blades.

Now, although it has been flying in Norway during 2015, and it has been flying other places in the world, I consider todays helicopter catch at Kristiansund airport a scoop (for me).

Airbus Helicopters has rented one of the CHC Helicopters hangars for testfights to last a month of its Airbus Helicopters H175.

Of course; anyone familiar with the helicopter world will recognise this under the name Eurocopter EC175 also...

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    This one as well.....

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    One of the attendants at COLD RESPONSE military excercise:

Leave a comment:

• Jack Mulder
    replied
    PH-EUE