No announcement yet.

The helicopter thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, what's the occation...., why did you fly with these guys??
    (If the images comes from your hands, that is)
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

On my recent visit to Trondheim I was able to take the helicopter sightseeing flight which was discussed earlier in this thread!
      A full account with lots of photos can be found under the heading A Seagull's-eye view of Trondheim which is in the thread Trondheim – as seen by Seagull, starting here

I enjoyed it enormously.

Regarding the business aspect of such a venture, I’d say success is very much linked in to the cruise ship calls to Trondheim. The position right next to the cruise terminal is ideal, the passengers are aware of the helicopter right away, they are on holiday, in a spend-money mood and they love the idea of seeing their ship from the air.

Comment

Enjoyed your flight over Trondheim very much, Cecilia...., and in one of the pictures (towards Ranheim) I belive we could see our captains home...??

Comment

Air Ambulance

landing in Oban this morning. I thought it was going to be the helicopter from the Lighthouse board but found out different when I got home

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
            landing in Oban this morning. I thought it was going to be the helicopter from the Lighthouse board but found out different when I got home

Sorry for saying so, but the shape of that helicopter looks like something I would have drawn in kindergarten...
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

At the time of production, and up to date in some areas, this "kindergarten"-designed helicopter was/is something of the most advanced in civil helio aviation you can get your hands on.
              The helicopter is a Bölkow-Blohm Bo-105, and for those with memories all the way back to the late 70s, this was the very first type of air ambulance we got here in Norway.
              That was a Bo-105 stationed at the hospital in Lørenskog near Oslo.
              Today, the company has more or less abandoned the tail rotor and the risk of having a propeller there when in ambulance operations. Now they use a jet nozzle to maneouver the tail (heading of the helio).
              (And they make a delightful sound those Bo-105 helicopters).

Comment

I agree with Sterkoder, the Bölkow is a very advanced helicopter.
                And twin engined, with first flight in 1967.

In 1984, I saw such a machine doing aerobatics, almost like an aeroplane.
                Loops, slow rolls and other maneuvers done.

Comment

AS365N2 LN-OFA (operated by Helitrans)is the only real VIP-helicopter in Norway:

The crew discussing which way to go?
                  (Waiting for the Prime Minister to arrive)

A busy day at the helipad today.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichu View Post
                    I agree with Sterkoder, the Bölkow is a very advanced helicopter.
                    And twin engined, with first flight in 1967.

In 1984, I saw such a machine doing aerobatics, almost like an aeroplane.
                    Loops, slow rolls and other maneuvers done.
                    I guess what you saw in 1984 was Hauptmann Karl Zimmermann of Heeresfligerregiment 16 from Germany doing his Bo-105 show...?
                    I saw him live at the 1984 huge airshow at Gardermoen and was totally stunned....

Here's his show at GM from 1984:

Or maybe you ment this one, the Red Bull chopper:

(I'm a pilot and know just a little bit about aerobatics. I have to remind you all, remember that the aircraft you see here in this last video is a helicopter!!! Awesome!!!!)

Most awesome helicopter flying I've ever seen which was not an airshow, is the Bo-105 in this video (and I belive this might be posted in here before?) :

(This pilot knows exactly what his doing in every second of the flight!!)
                    Last edited by Sterkoder; September 8th, 2010, 21:57.

Comment

Ambulance helicopters in Sandnessjøen

Comment

Here are a few images from when HMS Illustrious came to Liverpool. Sorry for the bad quality pics, I was on a Ferry on a windy day.

Comment

Here are some helicopterpictures from my collection. Will start with a true workhorse, the Aerospatiale AS350 Ecureuil "Squirrel". The first picture are from Alta, the rest is from the Tromsø area. And yes, the nice blue finnish helicopter (OH-HCG) are taken just outside Kilpisjärvi, Finland.

Last edited by LN-MEH; September 21st, 2010, 22:14.

Comment

From last weekend, i was real lucky and caught two of them!

Walking in the shadow of the blues

Comment

WOWEEEE!!!!!!!!
                              What a series of images, what an object, what a scenery and what not.....!
                              Perfect, 'Speedbird'...., you've captured one of my favourite machines in the RNoAF inventory in the right background, right light and damn if you haven't captured it in the right angels too!
                              GREAT!!!!! Thank you!!

For those of you who might have thought that the rotor of a helicopter is just some kind of "disc" turning at speed to make lift, take a close look at each rotorblade and notice the curvatures and bending on them.
                              There are forces present we're not even close to understand

Comment

Those SeaKing images are absolutely superb: I have never ever been able to get anything near those. Normally, when I get a SeaKing, it's from right under the heli.

Perfect images: the scenery also really enhances the images!
                                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                                X