The helicopter thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The helicopter thread

"Sea-king 322" picking up survivors during an exercise and returning them to shore:

Walking in the shadow of the blues

Comment

That's a ugly beast, a marvelous aircraft and splendid photos!

Comment

Have to disagree there, Tommi!
        If possible, I would rather see the grand old SeaKing in service for many, many years to come. To find a more s**y helicopter should keep anyone ocupied for a long time

So, to that little yellow maritime helicopter from 'janihudi'.
        That's a Eurocopter AS365 Dauphin 2 of Noordzee Helikopters Vlaandern (NHV), and established in Belgium in 1997, they perform any kind of helicopter work.
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Yes, it is a marvelous aircraft!

Really impressive that most of the Norwegian Sea King rescue helicopters fleet have been in daily operation for 40 years!

Comment

Really impressive that most of the Norwegian Sea King rescue helicopters fleet have been in daily operation for 40 years!
            My thoughts exactly.
            And ever since the war, specially when we talk about military aircraft, other nations would want Norways aircraft when we switched type or in any way renewed our fleet.
            That was mainly due to very good maintenance on norwegian squadrons.
            Dedicated ground crews could very well keep our SeaKings flying for yet another 10 years if needed.
            Last edited by Sterkoder; April 4th, 2012, 20:23.

Comment

I don't do much flying in Helicopters these days, but I actually made a trip in this one, from Labuan to Kikeh Field and back a week or so ago:

Nothing fancy or unusual with this S-92, belonging to MHS.

Comment

Helicopter from the Guardia Civil patrol the coast regularly.

Comment

Nice helicopter... when I get rich (see, I do not say IF I get rich), I'll have one of those...
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Ok..., call me when you're closing in on € 3 million then..., the price of a Eurocopter EC-135

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      Ok..., call me when you're closing in on € 3 million then..., the price of a Eurocopter EC-135
                      I still have a long way to go, so it won't be THIS year....

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Another picture of the GC helicopter on a mission earlier today.

Comment

Eurocopter AS-365N-3 ? flew by this afternoon

Comment

Event day at work:

The report continues here.

Comment

I have a question I suddenly got to think about: can literally any helicopter fly upside down...??

Naturally, I would be really worried if I saw a SeaKing flying upside down, but I have seen smaller helicopters do it..

Comment

I might be wrong but I don't know of any full size, human carrying helicopter that can fly upside down. Several can do a loop or barrel roll but the aircraft is still experiencing positive G's so aerodynamically it's still right side up. Really flying upside down poses a severe risk of the rotor striking the tail boom. In normal flight the load of carrying the helicopter flexes the tips of the blades up and away from the structure but flying upside down can push them into the tail boom. There have been many accidents even when flying right side up where the pilot made control inputs too quickly that caused the rotor to strike the tail boom. Needless to say. When things go wrong in a helicopter it rarely ends well.

Radio controlled helicopters are designed so the pitch of the rotor blades can go both positive and negative and the blades are symmetrical so they can generate the same lift in both directions. When flying you command the helicopter to quickly roll, loop or flip and when it's upside down during the maneuver you change the pitch of the rotor from positive to negative and then fly sorta normally upside down. Hard to do because the controls are basically reversed. When flying right side up you move the left stick (throttle/collective) of the RC controller up to go up but once inverted you move the control down to go up. Needless to say I cannot say how many times I had to rebuild my helicopter and I have a scar on my leg where I accidentally flew it into myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X