Sterkoders jumpseat ride with Widerøes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sterkoders jumpseat ride with Widerøes

The day finally came for me to go to Kristiansand for a jobrelated course.

First leg was to Bergen, and as I walked out to the waiting DHC-8-300 LN-WFT, who other than a good friend of mine waved to me from the right seat.

As I entered the plane I said hello to the flight attendand, but instead of finding my seat 11A, I climbed into the front office.
    There I was, after saying hello to my friend and the captain, firmly set in the narrow jumpseat for the entire flight from engines start to engines stop at Flesland.

A few pictures follow, and in this first one we are at cruise altitude 20.000 feet just before flying over Sognefjorden

We fly from waypoint TINKO to LISTI, and the next one thereafter will be TAMEG. We also read a strong headwind of 54 knots

We pass over Bergen to our left decending towards Flesland.
    Among the vessels being moored there, we can clearly spot Hurtigrutens FRAM

Approaching Flesland decending through 1.560 feet at 120 knots

Flesland is dead ahead, and my friend has full control

400 feet is passed at 110 knots on short final.

Thanks for the ride guys, if you ever read this! Beats every circus, tivoli and rollercoaster in the world (for me).
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Re: Sterkoders jumpseat ride with Widerøes

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It isn’t the first time I’ve started a post on CVF with the word Awesome! …but only rarely is it as justified as it is here. I wasn’t even following the flight –watched F1 on TV from Bahrain most of the day, believing that Sterkoder’s flights-to-follow would be on his return dash home. One could not in wildest imaginings have anticipated this absolute awesome wow start to Sterkoder’s Special Summer!

(…and for me Fram from the air is an awesome bonus!)

Comment

This is the kind of business trip we all like, don't we??
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

You lucky man!

But out of everyone that I wished this happen for, you were number 1 on that list!

You deserved that ride!

I bet you were having butterflies in your stomach!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
          You lucky man!

But out of everyone that I wished this happen for, you were number 1 on that list!

You deserved that ride!

I bet you were having butterflies in your stomach!
          Haha...., when I walked out to the plane and saw my friend in the right seat, I wanted to drop my bag, put my arms in the air and shout YEAH!!!!!! But as many of you know me, my pulse raised maybe a couple of beats, and I continued my cool, calm walk

What I really had on my mind was...., (as there also was a captain there)....; what'n the heck do we talk about for an hour....., three men in a confined space???

But hey, I already knew the 1. officer, and it turned out the captain knew my flight instructor (also a Widerøes captain) from 27 years back, and he also collected big sized ship models..., so....., the flight was almost too short!

You know, for almost 30 years in aviation, this was my very first ride in the jumpseat...
          Last edited by Sterkoder; May 6th, 2013, 07:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
            Haha...., when I walked out to the plane and saw my friend in the right seat, I wanted to drop my bag, put my arms in the air and shout YEAH!!!!!! But as many of you know me, my pulse raised maybe a couple of beats, and I continued my cool, calm walk
            Can this drawing describe you?

Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Very cool! Not only getting to sit up front but the Dash 8 is one of my favorite aircraft. Thank you for taking your camera along so we can all enjoy the trip.

Nice that you live in a country where such things are still possible. Here in the USA... armored cokcpit door... strict procedures... bla bla bla.

Comment

Here in the USA... armored cokcpit door... strict procedures... bla bla bla.
                Just like here in Norway.

But it's still the captain who's the boss, and it is still leagal to use ones head, think logically and it can happen (no matter what the aviation authorities think) that a member of an air crew and an ordinary passenger are good friends.

Yes, I know all about airline policy and all that, but with a good friend on the jumpseat, a good old c0ckpit door can still be armoured and locked
                (You hear that...., paranoia aviation authorities...?? ).

Comment

Well, here I am again..., not in the jumpseat, but on the same flight :-) My flight out of Bergen is WF597 and is scheduled to leave for Kristiansand at 20:15 local time. I'm in Bergen, but it say Ringnes on the glasses here..., (both of them), where it should say Hansa :-) I'm off to Kristiansand for the same reason as last time, to level up one notch on the Eddy Current NDT method by attending a 14 day course with FORCE Technology.

Comment

Darn..., 30 minutes delay due to change of a light bulb. Because of rain, this has to be done in a dry hangar. Holy...zzzzzZZZZ :-/

Comment

• Seagull
                      Seagull commented
                      Editing a comment
                      By the time I saw this I presume you have not only arrived in Kristiansand but have started your course by now! Have a good fortnight.

Wouldn't you know; I boardet LN-WFT again at Kvernberget Airport in Kristiansund foryet another flight to Bergen and later Kristiansand. LN-WFT was greatfrom the c0ckpit in April, but today I had to use seat 12A. So...., here I am at Flesland again, almost killed two hours. How??? Free WiFi, beer and peanuts :-) Next flight is WF597 to Kristiansand scheduled for 8:15 PM. If they don't find a dead lightbulb that is....

Comment

Working...
                    X