Kristiansund Airport - Kvernberget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kristiansund Airport - Kvernberget

One of the things in my mind before I retired 20 years ago was learning to fly. Oh, please don't scoff at me, folks. For various reasons I have never done it. The smallest passenger aircraft I've been in is probably the Fokker Friendship or - more likely - the little plane from Akureyri to Reykjavik in 1986 where I had my map of Iceland on my lap and, looking out of my window at the ground below, traced the route all the way. That went some small way towards that feeling of freedom in the air that you flyers must experience. Yes, I know the freedom wasn't real, the aircraft was confined to a specified height, route, etc. but it was just the feeling I delighted in, something not so compelling in large commercial aircraft, although that can have its magic, too.
    I think I can understand the deep regret and nostalgia you must feel because that freedom has now been more or less extinguished.
    Last edited by wherrygirl; August 19th, 2012, 12:36.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

The world's changed in lots of way over the last decade or two, that's for sure. One must wonder what the future is going to be like for any form of air travel. We keep on being told that fossil fuel will not last forever, so what then for aviation? Vegetable oil?, synthetic fuels? Somehow i cannot see electric power being suitable for a large high speed passenger plane.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I wonder, which reason motivated Croatian Airlines to offer a flight to / from Kvernberget???
        Are there a lot of Croatian workers on the oil platforms?
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

One or the other reason:
          Kristiansund has been a departure point for several charter flights to Split this season
          Or this was the flight chartered by our local newspaper Tidens Krav to bring their readers to Split and nicer weather.
          (The paper does this every year, to different destinations each time. Partisipants has to pay for it all themselves, but there are guides and everything is organized by the newspaper).
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Today, I was (by accident) in the city.
            On my way home, I saw a familiar sight sailing in from the east side...; car ferry VEØY returning home from her summer sailings at Geirangerfjord.
            I drove down to a quay near the former Sterkoder ship yard to take her pictures, posted in the car ferry thread.

Then I packed my camera back in the bag (always a BIG mistake) to drive home.
            As I turned my car around, I was aware of a huge black trail of smoke in the sky west of the city.
            After taking out my camera again faster than I have ever done, I got these pictures of a NATO Boeing E-3A SENTRY, commonly known as an AWACS aircraft.
            NATO has 18 of these type aircraft in their inventory, and they are all registered in Luxembourg, as this countrys only military airplanes.

I also have a shortcut to the Kvernberget ATC on my iPhone, and during this climbing turn, they said their intention was to shoot another approach

After driving faster to the airport than 'Oistein' want to know (if he's still a police), I got better pictures of the second approach, after which they set course Ørland MAB which is their northern base.

Last edited by Sterkoder; September 3rd, 2012, 07:03.

Comment

Looking rapidly at things I missed while away, I was totally stopped in my tracks by this story. This is exactly the kind of thing that makes the forum special. It’s like I’m in the car with you, and am fumbling to get out my camera quickly (while you’re already taking photos and listening to the ATC and planning spottermobile immediate relocation!!!!) Wow, what a shot, and as for that second approach…well what can I say.

Comment

Excellent spot of the Sentry, Sterkoder!

If it had been me, this is exactly the shot I would have missed for some silly reason.
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I walked into the 'air side' of Kvernberget airport today, to be taken pictures of as illustration to a future newspaper article.
                  All explained in the helicopter thread.

LN-BUE, Boeing 737 from Scandinavian Airlines on Kvernberget around 15:00 Saturday (The journalist and I were followed by people from Avinor, Airport Security and what not, and were in a hurry...., hence the blury picture here)

Handheld 200mm zoom...., bye-bye, and safe flight to Gardermoen...!

Comment

Cool, and particularly great compositions!

Comment

Thanks, Tommi!
                      I felt like playing around with the image I posted in the helicopter thread from todays visit at the airport, and here's a more cropped version in b/w.

Comment

Wonder if this could be a new spotter place near Kristiansund airport...? We see over to the end of RW07 where planes turn to take off toward east, we see the ATC tower and the all red PAPI lights (barely visible over that car to the left)

How PAPI works (PAPI: Presition Approach Path Indicator)

In the "old days" they used VASI (Visual Approach Slope Indicator), which is the same system, but had three red/white lights in one row, then in a new row some meters further down the runway there were another three red/white lights.
                        When one came in for landing and had the closest row wight and the other row red, one was on glidepath.
                        The way to remember what the VASI lightsignals ment, was:
                        When all is red, you're dead (too low)
                        Read over white, you're all right (on glidepath)
                        When all is white, you'll fly all night (too high)
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; February 24th, 2013, 22:24.

Comment

Yepp, the new spotterplace worked out quite well.

These are a few of the very first taken with my new lense, Pentax 18-135mm, and I'm so happy there seem to be no out of focus areas as was the case with my old Tamron 18-200.
                          The new lense also lighten my work when preparing my images for upload to CVF and other places; almost no need for editing, only cropping and resize

A Boeing 737 from SAS taxi out to the end of the runway for a take-off towards Oslo airport Gardermoen
                          (As we see, the PAPI lights are all red, due to the fact that I'm much lower than the glide slope)

Turning into the wind at the end of RW07

As we see from the snow and ice particles, take-off power is set and about 20.000 lb. of thrust push the plane forward

Comment

Nice work, and I'm glad to hear about your new lens too.

Comment

Thanks, Tommi!
                              When I bought my Tamron 18-200 a year back, my camera salesman said it was a perfect lense at that price, and that I would be very satisfied with it.
                              Yes, I was satisfied, but discovered that it gave out of focus edges and a bit of 'vignettering' in the corners. VERY IRRITATING!
                              Now I see the difference.
                              A camera (no matter what brand) needs its original brand lenses!

Comment

Been a long time since I've visited the airport now. Yesterday was about time.

An Embraer from BMI Regional. Left around 22:15 yesterday evening.

I enjoy parts of trees in my frame, and I managed to find a nice spot at the airport also.
                                The Embraer together with a Bombardier Dash-8 Q-400 from Widerøe

Take-off time for the Q-400

The RNoAF wraps up and go home after Exercise Gemini

Comment

Working...
                                X