Kristiansund Airport - Kvernberget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kristiansund Airport - Kvernberget

One of Widerøes DHC-8 machines, landing at Kristiansund airport around 6:35 AM Thursday morning
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Widerøes DHC-8 LN-WFS landing at KB rw07 at 6:40 16. May
      Picture taken from my office

Comment

I don't know why I like the Dash 8 so much but I have always wanted to take one of the engine nacelles, stick on some short wings and make a little airplane to go fast.

Comment

LN-NOA a Hawker Beechcraft 200 from Sundt Air doing Navaid Flight Inspection for Avinor. Today it was Kvernberget airport, and this picture was taken out and upward from my open car door as the aircraft did a climbing left turn over the Kristiansund harbour (NOTE: Yes, I was parked)

Comment

On his way to the huge airshow in Bodø this coming week-end, Jackob Holländer landed on Kristiansund airport this afternoon to refuel.

The plane is a GRUMMAN G-164A Super Ag-Cat and is used for wingwalking and nightflight pyrotechnics.
            It has a P&W 9-cyl. R-985-14B of 450 HP. This, together with a Hamilton Standard propeller makes a sound a grown man can cry for.
            The plane is built in 1973 and modified for wingwalking in 1992.

Jacob is a son of the legendary swedish acro-pilot Pierre Holländer, who tragically died in a plane crash in England several years ago.
            Pierre visited Kristiansund for a weekend in August 1985, when we in the local aeroclub had our very first airshow.
            Pierre did a stunning performance in his then new Pitts S-2 Special, which I still remember with great pleasure.

This combo makes a perfect sound!

The grey shadows in the upper left and right cornes is in fact the metal fence. Couldn't help it...

He looks so much like his dad. Jackob was 11 years back in 1985...

To know more about this Ag-Cat, the teams Pitts Python, wingwalking and pyro show, cliock into their homepage: http://www.airshow.se/
            Last edited by Sterkoder; June 13th, 2012, 21:35.

Comment

To bring memories back from 1985, for me, I just found a cople of images from our airshow at Kristiansund airport on the 5. August of that year.
              We see Pierre Holländers Pitts in the middle, flanked by a North American T-6 Texan (Harvard) to the left (right in real life) and a SAAB MFI-15 Safari trainer of the RNoAF Pilot School.

Pierre taxi out to take-off for a training run

PHOTOS: Odd Engvig/Fotograf Engvig

Comment

Wonderful planes and a little bit frightening story about these pilots and their risky business.
                It has a special touch, when a son follows the same traces as the deadly hurt father.
                Like Gilles and Jacques Villeneuve in Formula 1.
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Went out in the rainy and foggy weather with my camera today, but there were no boats or ships interesting enough to spend time on.
                  On my way home, I drove up to the airport, and there was an Airbus A-319 from Croatia Airlines ready to depart, together with a SAS Boeing 737, a CHC Helicopters Sikorsky S-92, a locally owned Cirrus S20 (owned by a lawyer, hence the registration LN-LAW), and a Cessna 180 Skywagon registered N6TK owned by a Thomas Kane in Mc Alpin, Florida, USA (according to my info).

Now that all info is given in the text above, I'll just post my images in a row

Comment

Comment

This Cessna has really been around. I've seen flight tracks from USA to Europa via Greenland, and pictures of it in New Zealand

Well, this concludes my images from Kvernberget airport today, hope you've enjoyed!

Comment

I am rather surprised to read about the well traveled Cessna. I have never stopped to consider that one of these would be used for such long distance, hopping it's way around the globe. The owner obviously likes adventuring, and has a lot of spare cash!
                        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

But that's what airplanes and flying is all about, Steve.., isn't it...?
                          To fly outside of your control zone and TMA and explore, to be free and able to fly around and cross borders.
                          For the owner of N6TK it seems possible, for me it became too expencive.

In the 80's, we had a guy here who flew to Mallorca with a Piper Cherokee.
                          He used 15 hours airtime one way.

Today, when it cost NOK 1500,- pr. hour (US$ 252,- ) to rent such a plane here, and fuel comes at NOK 14,50 pr. liter (US$ 2,44 or US$ 9,23 pr. gallon) it will be impossible if you haven't won the big Lottery.

Comment

Must be great have the time, cash and experience to just sit down one evening and starting to plan a route to some far off place. I know that with the age of jet travel, 'far off' places do not seem to exist anymore, but in a small plane like that, such far off places would seem to exist, if you know what i mean. Getting your maps out, working out your route considering the range between stops, etc. All of a sudden travel by air becomes an adventure again. Now where is that lottery win when you need it?(dunno)
                            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

It is amazing to me what things are possible or even normal here in the US but prohibitive in other parts of the world. Still, I am afraid that general aviation is in real trouble. Even basic aircraft have gotten crazy expensive and after September 11th a simple mistake about the rules can be a serious offense. Of which, even the threat can take the fun away for many people.

I have read many stories of people that put extra fuel tanks in their planes and fly to Europe or Hawaii. It shows that it can be done and that there are people with the nerves to do it. Personally, I don't have the stones for it. To my ear the engine always sounds rough when flying over mountains or water. I guess I don't have the true adventurer spirit.

Comment

To me, it was the cost of it all that made me decide enough is enogh, and put my license on the shelf.
                                Then I'm a person who understand that there must be some rules and regs, but the ammount and type of rules thrown at the GA segment of aviation at least here, makes operating a small single engine almost like running an airline company.
                                Then we know that the huge oil companies will stop producing Aviation fuel type 100LL in a few years, and who do you think will get the cost of rebuilding engines to diesel, automobile fuel or changing engines to turbines? Each and every pilot who will get the cost coming their way via increased prices pr. hour.
                                On top of that we have rigid airport security. GA has gone crazy, so much so that I don't want to be a part of it no more. I'm a free person, flying is all about freedom...., aviation is not anymore.
                                Last edited by Sterkoder; August 19th, 2012, 10:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X