No announcement yet.

Kristiansund Airport - Kvernberget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming out of the forest after a 30 minutes walk to a ridge I've never been on before. A new perspective and something I didn't belive was possible after so many years of photographing the city.

SSL26808 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Kvernberget ATC
    SSL26817 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

View east, with the hangar and club house of Møre Flyklubb (the local aero club) and Avinors area for practising fire- and rescue
    SSL26821 2 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Møre Flyklubb house behind our hangar. The hangar currently house one Piper PA-28-181 (LN-NPO) and a Cirrus SR20 (LN-LAW). (The registrations if someone wants to Google)
    Fire- and Rescue exercise area in the background
    SSL26823 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Nice vistas of the airport in your city: do you have an idea what they are building next to the airport?
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

What they plan to build next to the airport is the new passenger facility combined for planes and helicopters. The building for arrivals and departures of today is far inside the safety zone sideways from the runway centerline. But first, Avinor want to use the abandoned building vis-a-vis the passenger facility of today, the former firestation and technical building, to build it together as a temporary solution to meet the demands from the overcrowded facilities of today.
        There has been one (1) rebuilding of the passenger facilities since the original building was built for the airport opening in June of 1970.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          What they plan to build next to the airport is the new passenger facility combined for planes and helicopters. The building for arrivals and departures of today is far inside the safety zone sideways from the runway centerline. But first, Avinor want to use the abandoned building vis-a-vis the passenger facility of today, the former firestation and technical building, to build it together as a temporary solution to meet the demands from the overcrowded facilities of today.
          There has been one (1) rebuilding of the passenger facilities since the original building was built for the airport opening in June of 1970.
          With the increase in air-travel, and to stay competitive, this is something that HAS to be done sooner or later. Sooner is better.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Yesterday I combined the need for a long walk and the urge to take some photos. I parked my car and walked to the east end of the runway at the airport.

SSL27057 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

SSL27060 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Detail of a center line strobe lead-light. The eight red blurred lights in the background is the PAPI-system.
            PAPI is short for Precision Approach Path Indicator and gives a pilot a visual reference as to what approach angle the plane has towards the landing.
            "All red, you're dead" meaning the aircraft is way too low. "All white, you'll fly all night" meaning if all are white, the aircraft is way too high.
            The perfect light signal would be two red and two white on each side. That gives an angle of about 2 to 3 degrees of glide slope.
            SSL27062 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

SSL27085 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

One of Widerøes Dash 8-103, LN-WIF, take off as flight WF555 towards Trondheim and Værnes airport. This plane was delivered to Widerøe 21st January 1994.
            SSL27067 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

SSL27069 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

• Ralf__
              Ralf__ commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting explanation of the PAPI system. I didn't know that before. The same idea as in many lighthouses. Cool.

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              My pleasure, Ralf :-) (The glide slope for runway 25 at Kvernberget is 3 degrees, by the way ;-) )

• Ralf__
              Ralf__ commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly. Now i know not only, how it works, even how to use it properly! If i ever come by airplane, i will remember!! Supercool.

Playing with tilt-shift again in a picture I took a couple of years back. The long blue building to the left there is the hangar of the local aero club, Møre Flyklubb, where I've been a member since 1983 and still is
            ​​​​​​SSL25295-tiltshift by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

That is a really great result - hadn't you said it was a Tilt-Shift, I would probably have thought it was a perfectly made DIARAMA (is that the correct word?).

Comment

A new load of Italian soldiers arrive at Kvernberget in a Boeing 737 from Air Italy.
                I don't know how many flights Air Italy made so far, I've seen two myself, but for the NATO exercise 'Trident Juncture' there will be 2.000 Italian soldiers arriving via Kvernberget.
                They will be in a camp at Vidflotten/Lesja shooting range, and tons upon tons of equipment and different vehicles has arrived by ship to Åndalsnes and driven up to the camp.
                The Trident Juncture exercise will be the largest NATO exercise in Norway for many decades and will see over 40.000 soldiers from 40 different countries. The core dates are between 25th October and 7th November, when armies, air forces and navies from different countries will "play their war game".

​​​​​​SSL27095 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​SSL27099 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​SSL27097 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Bombardier Dash-8 Q400 LN-WDH taxi out to take-off as flight WF571 to Bergen/Flesland today
                  ​​​​​​SSL27126 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Bombardier Dash-8 Q200 LN-WSA taxi out to take-off as flight WF555 to Trondheim/Værnes
                  ​​​​​​SSL27136 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

WF555 climbing out of Kvernberget
                  ​​​​​​SSL27140 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Westland Mk.43B Sea King from 330 sqn. RNoAF at Ørland Main Air Station, made a fuel stop before flying homeSSL27139 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

CHC Helicopter Service LN-OQA Sikorsky Aircraft S-92B taxi out as flight HKS404 for oilrig Heidrun one hour offshore
                  ​​​​​​SSL27147 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

The Sea King first flew 7th May 1969 and Westland Helicopters at Yeovilton produced it up until 1995. The type entered service in Norway in 1973, where the Justice Dept. own 12 helicopters operated by RNoAF 330 squadron. The bases were originally Bodø, Banak, Ørland and Sola, but one was operated out of Rygge from 1999 and one from Florø since 2009.
                  To replace the Sea King in 2020, we will have the Augusta-Westland AW101 Merlin.
                  ​​​​​​SSL27153 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Very nice images Sterkoder. Strange nobody has already recognised these images, because they are superb.

That Air Italy aircraft certainly has a really long and interesting history behind:

https://www.planespotters.net/airfra...Italy/6RkQhnR5

It has even served in Malaysia Airlines at some point.

Comment

Working...
                    X