Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Endless thread ::: Aviation Photographs..

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The English Electric Lightning, gained legendary status with the RAF from it's oustanding capabilities. From it's first flight on 25th Feb 1954 it entered service in 1959, capable of 50,000ft (15,240m) per minute & Mach 2.27 (1,500 mph, 2,415 km/h). Keeping in mind that this is a 1950's design, it is comparable to most fighters of today. It's service ceiling is understated as 60,000ft (18,000 m), it's official ceiling was 87,300 ft (26,600m). A brand new F-104 Starfighter broke the world altitude record with 103,395 ft (31.394m) in a specially prepared aircraft, the Lightning was only a standard type of some 3 years old at that.
    In 1984 Flt Lt Mike Hale of the RAF surprised the USAF while on a NATO exercise by intercepting an American U-2 spyplane at 88,000ft (26,800 m), not bad for an aircraft of over 25 years old.
    Sadly the Lightning's achillies heel was it's age. Radar, fuel capacity, range & weapons let it down from not being upgraded due to lack of forsight by the RAF, the Lightning was only ever supposed to be filler until a better aircraft came along.

Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
      Yep! I do have a thing for ground attack aircraft too. I always liked the A-10, Sepecat Jaguar and the Harrier.

I never had the chance to fly the A-10 for real but I did get some simulator time. Really cool to see the air speed drop when firing a long gun burst. It will not overpower the aircraft and slow the aircraft until it stalls but it will noticeably slow it down. In one mission they gave me unlimited ammo and I held the trigger while at full power. The gun burned off about 10 knots of airspeed but not much else. It was fun noticing how the aircraft changed, especially when landing with a full or empty drum of ammo. Hard to imagine that a load of bullets weigh so much.

I would so love to fly one in real life!!!

Comment

You are so lucky Pilotdane, what I wouldn't give to try that simulator out.
        But then again, if you had ever seen me flying Microsoft Simulator you'd have nightmares for the rest of your days.

Comment

This of Concorde at RNAS Yeovilton.

Comment

Some new raw RAF intakes getting a few pointers on the Tornado.

Comment

The Danish & Canadian flight line. Finningley 1986.

Comment

Great....!!!! We can take more of this...!!!!
                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Here is the famous B-17 Flying Fortress Sally B, magnificent to look at and very impressive to hear.

Comment

Now here is a big gal, the B-52 Stratofortress. Even more impressive in the air, this wonderful aircraft that first flew in 1952 will still be in service until 2040. Not bad for an aircraft that would be 88 years old by then.

Comment

Here is the famous B-17 Flying Fortress Sally B, magnificent to look at and very impressive to hear.
                      I agree totally! I got to experience "Sally B" live at Gardermoen Air Show north of Oslo in 1984.
                      By the way, the inner starboard engine cowling will for all times be coloured in black and yellow chequered pattern.
                      That's the exact same engine cowling colour of the "Sally B" founder Ted Whites T-6 Harvard in which he and his good friend Mark Campbell were killed in Malta in 1981.

Comment

The B-52 is really an incredible machine. It is hard to imagine something so ugly fighting it's way into the air.

About 8 years ago I wento Ellsworth Air Force Base in South Dakota, USA. It was a cold, rainy windy day and I was walking around looking at a BUFF (B-52) and noticed that the wing tip would rise and fall with with wind. I walked over and spent some time wathching the wheel on the wing tip. It would go up/down about 6 feet (2 meter) with the wind. One time while it was down I wrapped my arms around and held on. Up came the wind and up I went. The wind kept blowing and my arms were getting tired. Finally the wind calmed and I slowly came back to the ground. A very cool learning experience. That huge wing was generating tremendous lift even in 30 knot wind.

Comment

something so ugly
                          ????????????????????????????????????????????????

Comment

For those that have seen or heard of the film "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines," will know of the Lee Richards Annular Biplane. While this particular photo shows the replica version from 1910, this one didn't fly. But, it was saved from destruction after the 1965 movie.

You've got to love the innovation of those days. Even if most designs ended in disaster.

Comment

The Danish owned Saab F-35 Draken, capable of Mach 2+ 1,317mph (2,120 km/h). All Danish Draken's were retired in 1993.

Comment

Here is the Lockheed T-33A Shooting Star. The light was getting weaker, I just managed to take the shot and it wasn't so bad in the end

Comment

Working...
                                X