Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Endless thread ::: Aviation Photographs..

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Endless thread ::: Aviation Photographs..

Our flight was far less unusual and exotic. Singapore Airlines arriving:

Comment

From FlightAware this week.

An over decorated ANA plane:

Not a perfect "Delta" formation, but getting there:

PS> No, there is one plane too much to for a "Delta" formation. (1 + 2 + 3 + 5)
      Last edited by ombugge; January 25th, 2013, 04:20. Reason: Add PS

Comment

ahaaa... the Pokemon aircraft!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Just came back from beautiful city of Prague! Posting some spotting pictures from Trondheim, Værnes and Oslo, Gardermoen.

Morning photo from Trondheim Airport Værnes.

Comment

A bit further south - and a different time in some aeroplanes' lives. This is Cotswold Airport at Kemble in Gloucestershire.

A relatively busy GA airport, Kemble is also making a good trade from responsible and environmentally-friendly scrapping of aircraft from all over the world. There isn't a very clear fence-free view for obvious reasons, so take your pick between shaky photos taken whilst standing on the door sill of the car, or a nice picture of the chain link!!

Firstly, this one has seen its last few parcels. One engine still attached.

New definition of 'Lucky'. Has come a very long way for recycling.

A view of quite how many planes are either being dismantled or are in storage at Kemble. Sad - and slightly alarming - to see a Cathay 747-400 being taken apart. When I was young, these were just coming into service, and the concept of non-stop Heathrow to Hong Kong was quite something - I thought I was still young!! (One RB211 still attached).

And a closer view of that particular beauty.

Finally a mere whipper-snapper, still with a full complement of avionics and an engine, hurtling skywards.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

From FlightAware this week.
              The Beluga in full flight:

Comment

Some airlines not often seen on CVF. First from Changi Airport, Singapore.
                Cebu Pacific, Slikair & Philippines Airline:

The nearest one appears to be a bit mixed up. The tail logo is for Tiger Airways, while the name on the fuselage is Mandala Airlines:

Maybe a joint venture??

Comment

Next from Kathmandu Airport, Nepal.
                  Air Arabia and Nepal Airlines:

Bangladesh Biman:

A C-130 of unknown registration:

But former ownership is quite clear.
                  Last edited by ombugge; February 19th, 2013, 05:12.

Comment

More Nepal Airlines:

Jet Airways, from India:

Comment

"Numerous" small airlines and air crafts for the domestic market:

Including "Mountain Flights" to see Mt. Everest.

This one should look familiar to many in Norway, especially in the North:

I have flown in these many places, including to/from grass, gravel or packed coral strips in remote parts of Indonesia, Papua New Guinea and in West Africa.

Some of the high altitude airstrips in Nepal is quite precarious and subject to sudden weather changes: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...runway-landing

Here is a video from one of the best and busiest airport, Lukla - Tenzing Hillary, near Mt. Everest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqgZvb37NX0
                      Last edited by ombugge; February 19th, 2013, 05:40.

Comment

That C-130 Hercules in picture 3 of post 472:

This is in fact a KC-130J tanker/cargo aircraft from the VMGR-152 (Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron) stationed at Futenma, Okinawa, Japan.

This could be found out by looking at the tailcode QD.

By studying your picture, I also see that the Hercules has a pod mounted under the wing (also starboard side, but not visible obviously) outside of the engines. This also suggest to me that this is an aerial refueling aircraft.
                        These pods trail a 93-foot hose attached to a stabilized paradrogue into which receiver aircraft plug.

The KC-130Js in the picture below, is in fact from VMGR-152. They are refueling six U.S. Navy Navy F/A-18C Hornet fighters from Strike Fighter Squadron VFA-97 in a refueling mission to Andersen Air Force Base, Guam (USA), on 16 June 2006. The Marines were supporting exercise "Valiant Shield 2006", a joint interoperability exercise involving 10 air bases, three carrier strike groups and the U.S. Coast Guard.

PHOTO: Official U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Terence L. Yancey

Funny what two small letters on a tailfin can tell....
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; February 19th, 2013, 08:24.
                        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Sad - and slightly alarming - to see a Cathay 747-400 being taken apart.
                          And I know a perfect place for that cut out SWIRE logo and letters close to the rear door.
                          I see it before me, roughly cut, hanging on the large gray wall in my NDT test departement at SWIRE here in Kristiansund

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                            And I know a perfect place for that cut out SWIRE logo and letters close to the rear door.
                            I see it before me, roughly cut, hanging on the large gray wall in my NDT test departement at SWIRE here in Kristiansund
                            I didn't realise that Swire was so widespread these days Svein. That name used to be on everything in Hong Kong in the old days - looking at the main website it's still massive isn't it!

Re Non Destructive Testing - when I first started work as an apprentice I worked with a guy who had a long experience in NDT of aircraft engines before he moved to rail. Blew up everything he touched - always wondered how that made any sense at all!
                            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                              That C-130 Hercules in picture 3 of post 472:

This is in fact a KC-130J tanker/cargo aircraft from the VMGR-152 (Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron) stationed at Futenma, Okinawa, Japan.
                              This could be found out by looking at the tail code QD.
                              Yes it is amazing, but why had the markings been painted over??? (Not very well I must add)
                              There were armed soldiers all around guarding this aircraft and a group of what looked like Americans arriving in that minibus you see in the picture.

Maybe the plane was on a "delivery flight" to a new "owner" somewhere??
                              Hardly likely to be Nepal Air Force, as they don't have any need for refueling tankers and are not a likely recipient of US Air crafts, as they are now ruled by a Maoist controlled Government.

Comment

Oh, it's not painted over.

These markings are low visibility insignia, as opposed to how military aircraft flew around before..., up until mid 1980s.

United States of America before mid-80s

After low visibility were introduced, it might look like this (in different versions)

Here's an example on the not so low visibility aircraft

The Royal Norwegian Air Force insignia is a roundel looking like this

The low visibility looks like this

Applied to a RNoAF DA-20 Falcon, the low visibility insignia (in a slightly different version) looks like this

To be continued in the next post...

Comment

Working...
                                X