Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Endless thread ::: Aviation Photographs..

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Endless thread ::: Aviation Photographs..

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    Just wonder about image nr. 2 in post #366:
    I belive setting flaps at what seems to be a considerable hight looks a bit odd...., or is it the standard of "green approaches" in SAS that make them idle into an airport and not set flaps until they are sure to reach the touchdown zone...?
    Clearly it must be a difference in the way they do things in NX and SAS.

Otherwise, it was really nice pictures, Tom!!!!
    I called a friend to ask this info about the flaps and he said they really don't think about the runway being assured like you would in a small plane. They sometimes spend a lot of time motoring around at low altitudes with two very reliable turbines so "making the runway" he said does not enter their mind during normal operations. He also mentioned how their training has changed after the "miracle on the Hudson" incident. They now train seriously for engine out operations. Prior to that they did train with total loss of power but it was done almost jokingly in the simulator as a "hey lets see if he can land this" where now he says it's a real procedure they train.

It looks like the hills/mountains peaking through the cloud layer so I don't think they are too high. It also looks like the flaps are only at 5° which is normal for when trolling around at low altitude.
    Last edited by pilotdane; October 9th, 2011, 15:58.

Comment

A fighter above Ørlandet.... PHEEEW.... these are really hard to photograph!

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Above Amsterdam

Jack Mulder

Comment

From London City Airport, 18th November - as seen from the rather nice Novotel London Excel!!

Approach to this short field in the middle of a built up area fun in any conditions, but with low cloud about 800m from the threshold it must have been particularly interesting. The one before this one went around!!

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Post #378 from Jack:
            Now THAT'S an airplane!!!!!
            I'm so glad I did experience to fly in such a beautiful bird twice, and I got it all on tape.
            In one of the flights, I got to sit up front, behind the two pilots and watch the old guys do the 'classic hand ballet' of operating a DC-3 from engine start-up to engine shut-down.... (Insert a BIG GRIN smily)
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I'm getting behind posting photos but here are some aircaft I saw in Nashville, TN.

C-17

KC-10

And who would have ever thought these things would still be flying in 2011, the KC-135.

Comment

And who would have ever thought these things would still be flying in 2011, the KC-135.
                Well, me....

I'm more amazed about the Boeing B-52.
                Next year, it will be 60 years since first flight, and there are still 94 of the original 744 built still flying.
                The works are on and well under way for a NG-bomber, but the USAF intends to keep the version B-52H in service until 2045.
                This will then be more than 90 years after first flight, and 90 years to the point after introduction to service in 1955.
                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Here is the first of the many Turkish Airlines planes I saw fly over as we headed out of Istanbul. This is one of their 737-800.

I just had to zoom in on the dirty under side only to discover that it's not so dirty. In fact all of their planes flying over looked to be in very nice condition.

Comment

Funny seeing those wheels retracted.... almost like a bird in flight...
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Flying that high and fast and they still don't enclose the wheels. Very unsightly.

Turkish Air TC-JJO a 777-300ER

Comment

Yep, more Turkish Airlines. This one TC-JKO a 737-700.

Comment

Nope, we have not left Turkey yet.

TC-JPC a Airbus 320.

Am I the only one that finds passenger airplanes a bit more boring since most have gone with two big ones hanging under the wings? There used to be days when there were two on the sides of the tail, one above the tail and two under the wing, two under the wing and one IN the tail, then there were a couple four engine ones.
                          Last edited by pilotdane; February 12th, 2012, 02:49.

Comment

After this one last photo I'll stop with the endless Turkish Air photos. Here is TC-JRO a Airbus 321 I think. Being an American I suppose I should say I love the look of Boeings better I must complement Airbus on enclosing the wheels.

Comment

This should be a familiar sight for many on CVF:
                              Last edited by ombugge; February 18th, 2012, 16:41.

Comment

A couple of planes seen on a wet and windy Haneda Airport, Japan a week or so ago:

Not a very special plane, but an Airline not seen much outside Japan.

Could this be the first of the B787s in commercial service:

Appeared to be sporting the special ANA B787 colours (as seen on picture of the B787) when seen from the terminal at Haneda, but I did not get a good picture when taxing. (Best I could do)

Comment

Working...
                                X