Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Endless thread ::: Aviation Photographs..

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Endless thread ::: Aviation Photographs..

WOW! I have never met anyone that experienced the blitz first hand. As a 8 year old child did what was going on really sink in or were you too young to fully understand the life or death danger/fight going on?

I have been to one airshow where they were able to get over 100 WWII aircraft together to fly formations over the field. It was mostly T-6/Harvard's with smaller group of P-51 and a few bombers. I thought what an incredible sight and sound and something in dozens of airshows I have not seen since.

Comment

Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, when a Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane flew over Holyrood Park
      Ouch...., I don't want to do this..., to correct a friend..., but anyway;
      Yes, the BBMF usually flies around in those three aircraft, but just on your images here, I see (or suspect) they are out flying their two Spitfire Mk. PRXIX alongside the beautiful Lanc.
      (Just for the record, my friend...., just for the record).

Then it is nice to see the Red Arrows, as I'm lucky enough to have experienced them in real life. Happy memories!

And thank you also to 'kiki42' there, posting them Concorde pictures!
      I wish I did, but never got to fly in one. A while back, destiny brought me to Paris and Le Bourget (well, to be honest..., actually SAS did (tssss)) and I got to climb on board a couple of Concordes on ground there, one of them the prototype. Fantastic to be in one, even on ground!!
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Thank goodness for a friend to keep me right when I’d written what was supposed to happen rather than what actually did happen!

Comment

You know me....; details, details
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
            WOW! I have never met anyone that experienced the blitz first hand. As a 8 year old child did what was going on really sink in or were you too young to fully understand the life or death danger/fight going on?
            At about 2.30p.m. on Sat. 7 September 1940 I probably had little conception of what the war meant to us. For the first year since it had been declared on 3 Sep. 1939 it had been quiet in Britain. My mother had told me about WW1 because her brothers had been in the army, none killed but some badly injured, and she had spoken of the occasional Zeppelin raids so I understood about bombing.
            But an hour or so later I knew exactly what it was about. My parents and I had been in the garden, they were reading and I was playing on the lawn. After a while there was the faint sound of planes in the distance, although faint it was the sound of massed planes. (As it turned out there were many hundreds of them, bombers and fighters.) I noticed my parents look at each other and knew something was wrong without understanding what it was. A far away siren went and almost at the same time the black dots of the bombers were clearly visible, masses of them. We nearly fell into the Anderson shelter, which was cold and damp, and then it started almost immediately. I don't know whether it was ever decided what went wrong with the siren system as until that distant one we had no warning and by then it was too late, the planes were overhead.
            We couldn't move from the shelter until about 6 a.m. the following day. We had no blankets or provisions, nothing except two wooden benches. I can still hear the high-pitched whistling of the HE's raining down while we just cowered waiting for the explosion. There was the continual knocking on the soil- covered top of the shelter of shrapnel and bits of metal, but the worst sound which I can never forget is the harsh scream of a plane coming down. It was horrible.
            The bombing never stopped until the next morning. We eventually climbed out, but the sky was red with the fires and thick with smoke. Our house was still there, but the big living room window was half hanging out, glass crunched wherever we walked and every ceiling in the house was down - plaster everywhere. I remember trailing round after my parents as they inspected each room. We went out into the street and all you could hear was the clinking of glass and slate as people tried to clear up. We could see the flames from Woolwich Arsenal as we lived only about three quarters of a mile away. I remember being terrified because I thought the flames would come up to our house.
            We went down the road to see my grandparents, but we had hardly got there before the bombers were back. We rushed into their shelter and it began all over again. I can't now remember when it finally stopped. This went on day after day after day for two months solid. The blitz didn't stop after that, of course, but there were nights when no planes came.
            I suppose after such a baptism, it becomes almost a way of life, though it sounds strange put like that. I know that as a child it was true for me. There was a sharp pang in the stomach every time the siren went and everything went into fast forward, but when there was no raid on one did the same things one always did and that gave some comfort. But at the bottom of it all a sort of dull terror was always there.
            In 1944 I went to Cheshire with a classmate whose mother was sending her away (the doodle-bugs had started) and wanted a companion for her. I only stayed a month for the V2's began and I wanted to be back with my parents. Two days after I got home we went out for a bus ride and a stroll. Suddenly there was a massive explosion - a V2. Faster than sound, the one good thing about them was that you never heard them coming, that awful rumble was heard only after the explosion. But I went to pieces. Just one month away in peace and quiet and there I was back in terror again. By then I was 12, but I was sobbing like a baby. Soon got used to it though!
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I (heart) CaptainsVoyage…
              Though it can be all too easy to take for granted the most special precious things in one’s life ….but then I read Ivy’s post this morning…

No amount of “ what it was like during the war” reminiscences on TV and radio programmes, magazines, books and around on the web comes anywhere near the experience of sharing such well written and very personal memories from someone who I have got to know here within our CV family.
              Thanks Ivy…thanks Captain.

Comment

hI Sterkoder, yes it was so emotional when i travelled on Concord. It was so small, and so strange to look down on the other large jets flying below us . I have a video of my trip to Cairo and Concord arriving at the airport, we were on the first Concord flight with fare paying passengers , an added bonus for me.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                  I (heart) CaptainsVoyage…
                  Though it can be all too easy to take for granted the most special precious things in one’s life ….but then I read Ivy’s post this morning…

No amount of “ what it was like during the war” reminiscences on TV and radio programmes, magazines, books and around on the web comes anywhere near the experience of sharing such well written and very personal memories from someone who I have got to know here within our CV family.
                  Thanks Ivy…thanks Captain.
                  Cecilia, you may like to browse the full story. Several years ago the BBC set up an archive of people's memories of the war. My contribution is at http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/s...a1951102.shtml and is my account of the whole of the war as I experienced it. If Dane sees this, he may like to read it, too.
                  Better stop now, I'm even more OT than usual!
                  The home page gives access to all the other stories, of course - so many experiences.......
                  Last edited by wherrygirl; July 3rd, 2011, 19:55.
                  Ivy

Comment

Angry Birds Airlines:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A video from an iPHONE jettisoned to space, before falling back to earth... could pose a serious threat to aircrafts:

http://www.dagbladet.no/2011/09/01/n...ktiv/17928243/

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A British Airways aircraft.... in my kitchen:

Comment

G-SWIP Silent Twisters at Seething Air Show, Norfolk:

Ivy

Comment

Ooooh! Nicely done Ivy! Lovely photos, the one thing I've found is once you have started on aviation photography.... you're hooked!!
                            Great fun in every way though!
                            Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Great “skyscapes”!!!!!! Specially like the trails and grey/white tones of the second one.

Comment

Thank you both, Paul and Cecilia.
                                It was my first airshow, albeit only a little local one - no great jets screaming past. The pair above were good, but the following Pitts Pair biplanes http://www.thepittspair.com/site/ were just superb. Unfortunately my photos of their display were NOT! though below is my photo of them on the ground.
                                I've just got to learn to photograph moving objects - perhaps I'll start with bikes (pedal variety!) or snails. I panned like mad but the sun was on the screen and the viewfinder didn't help either and I was slow pressing the button and....and....!
                                But it was all such great fun.

Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X