FLYDAG 2018 Kjeller Aerodrome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FLYDAG 2018 Kjeller Aerodrome

Every year, Nedre Romerike Aero Club and veteran aircraft clubs at Kjeller in Lillestrøm has a day dedicated to aircraft, modern and historical, and invite the public for free to Kjeller aerodrome (this is the birthplace of flying in Norway and the oldest operational airport in the world, so I have to use the word 'aerodrome'. And all technical support and maintenance of the RNoAF F-16 fighters also takes place here).
    This year it all happened Sunday 3. June, but knowing what crowd there would be in the nice summer weather, I visited Saturday 2. June, when they opened the gates from 2 to 6 PM to let us watch how they all prepared for the main day. Many of the participating planes also arrived on Saturday. I took my pictures with both Pentax and iPhone, so here are a few images from my week-end, enjoy.

SAAB 91B Safir, once one of many used at the RNoAF Pilot School at Værnes
    SSL25800 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

North American T-6 Harvard from the Norwegian Flying Aces
    SSL25818 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

DeHavilland DHC-1 Chipmunk in the colours of the RAF Pilot School
    SSL25833 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Boeing PT-17 Stearman, a well known pilot training aircraft, also used as a crop-duster after the war and up until today. Over 9.700 built.
    SSL25838 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Two of six aircraft in the RNoAF Pilot School "Yello Sparrows" acro-team. (Back in 1982/83, when I was in the air force as crew chief at the pilot school on this type of aircraft, we crew chiefs got two planes each which became "ours" throughout the time we spent in service. I had #815 and #806. Back in the old days they were olive green with orange high visibility trimming.
    SSL25854 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

One of "my" aircraft from 1982/83. Put a smile on my face and I must admit I felt the goosebumps
    SSL25855 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Detail from the Boeing Stearman, the Sensenich made propeller
    IMG_3544 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A two-seater F-16 from RNoAF on static display only
    IMG_3562 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr
    Last edited by Sterkoder; June 5th, 2018, 13:02.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Two SAAB 91B Safir in formation and training for the main day. I met LN-MAZ there for the first time at Jarlsberg Airshow near Tønsberg back in 1979
    SSL25799 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A Fieseler Fi.156 Storch after over 10 years of restoration, with a swastika on the tail fin and a up-side-down V8 engine.
    SSL25881 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A beautifully restored Noorduyn Norseman, operated by the Norwegian Spitfire Foundation
    SSL25932 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Now a civilian SAAB 91B Safir, once in the service of the RNoAF Pilot School (from 1979 to 1983)
    SSL25972 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Model 1957 Cessna 182A, celebrating 60 years and being a drop plane for over 75.000 parachutists in that time periode in 2017. Home base is Stavsberg airport, Hamar
    SSL25969 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A Kjeller based Chineese Nanchang CJ-6A trainer. Usen in China up until 2007, if I remember the info correct
    SSL26025 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

One of two DeHavilland Vampires operated by the RNoAF Historic Squadron. Usually in a RNoAF livery and markings, but painted in a RAF livery this year to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the RAF
    SSL26037 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

This is the other Vampire in the RNoAF Historic Squadron. This is a single seater.
    SSL26048 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Norwegian Spitfire Foundation operated North American P-51 Mustang
      SSL26053 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Three members of the Veterans Parachute Club walks away as their jump plane lands in the back ground. All men in the club are over 70 years old (young), the nearest guy here is almost 75
      SSL26062 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Max-Holste MH Broussard, (the poor mans DHC-2 Beaver, as they say), with a fantastic sound from the radial engine and propeller blade tips going super sonic
      SSL26070 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Three guys with clothing to accompany the D-day marked Piper L-18 Grashopper (Cub) observation and liaison aicraft
      SSL26071 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

It might be a scene from a stand-by hut at any English airfield during WW2. Should've been a bell there though, and a sign, saying "Don't come and tell - ring this as hell!" when there's a scramble
      SSL26088 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Supermarine Spitfire reg. SE-BIR owned by Biltema. (Biltemas other Spit, SE-BIN, smashed into ground at Tynset airshow back in 2010, sadly killing its 68-year old pilot)
      SSL26086 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

DeHavilland DH60 Moth, oldest plane flying in Norway
      SSL26108 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

SSL26042 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

The two Safirs of the SAAB Safir Display Team (LN-BII back, LN-MAZ front)
        SSL25966 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Detail and nose-art from the Norwegian Flying Aces NA T-6 Harvard (or Texan, as its also called)
        IMG_3567 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

As seen from the speakers tower, the nice looking Biltema Spitfire on Saturday 2. June
        SSL25981 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Yes, Spit...fire. Starting engine for a short taxi to the inner parking ares for the night
        SSL25999 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr
        Last edited by Sterkoder; June 5th, 2018, 13:01.

Comment

Wonderful pictures from a truly amazing day.
          Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Thank you, Øistein! Did you go there?

Here's a video, type handheld iPhone, from the Spitfire taxi to nighttime parking. Volume: ON ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2wdougOLlY

And the Noorduyn Norseman arrival, with very nice radial engine sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJXG5C8oAgE

Comment

Wonderful pictures from the flight show at Kjeller in beautiful summer weather, Svein
              Nice video of the Spitfire with super sound from the engine.
              Best wishes from
              Bengt Domben

Comment

• Sterkoder
                Sterkoder commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you.
                The temperature reached 32 degrees Celcius Sunday and some just left the area. A couple of people colapsed and left in an ambulance.
                Nice airshow and great sound all right, but way, way too hot.

Those carefully (or more likely instinctively) chosen b&w images such as #1/2 do indeed have that nostalgic 'aerodrome feel' to them and are very definitely on my favourites list!
              I love the viewpoint of #1/8, as already mentioned, and I also keep returning to #1/7, the Boeing Stearman detail featuring the propeller.
              But really the whole collection is a delight to see.

Comment

What a wonderful report, and so perfect that you also got to record and share the sounds and "moving images" too!

Nothing beats the sounds of older aircrafts - not that new aircrafts is any less wonderful.

Loved that fire-spitting Spitfire! Perfect timing!
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                X