X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oslo Airport - Gardermoen (OSL/ENGM)

Maybe make some more airport threads from the 2 airports I visit the most
    Here is the first one, Oslo Airport.

Gardermoen as the main airport of Norway opened in 1998 and I have one of the construction workers there in 1996-1997
    Norway, the land of the B737! hehe

Here I will drop some pic's from OSL

B737-300wl from Air Baltic YL-BBY

B737-800 from SAS LN-RRT

Juhuuu, an Airbus 319-100 from Swiss HB-IPY
    View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

Stunning images... the dark background really makes the aircrafts stand out!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I like that bright green color of Baltic.

It is amazing that you got a rainbow in all three pictures.

Comment

Thanx

There was a heavy raishower an evening at OSL during sunset, so the rainbow lasted in some minutes.. I captured 3 aircrafts and took some overwiev pictures as well

When it comes to Air Baltic, I also like the green colour of their winglets and tail
        Just hope to meet one of their B752 one day. They have been at OSL and BGO but never managed to capture them

YL-BBK

YL-BAT

Comment

Avient Aviation with a DC-10

Z-ALT

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Photoman View Post

Z-ALT
            Now that looks like a biting cold but crisp day!
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Z-ALT
              Whatever happened to the DC-10s??? They used to be "everywhere" and now you hardly see any. Just like the DC-8s before that, but DC-3s from the 1930s are still flying many places.

The same applies to Boeing's B-707s and B-727s, while B-737s are still being built by the dozens a year. I don't know if B-747 has gone out of production, but they have certainly not gone out of service.

Why does some plane models appear to have "eternal life" while others disappear as soon as there is a replacement (with few exceptions)???

Can anybody enlighten me on this topic??? It can't all be explained by better fuel efficiency.

Comment

I can't enlighten you on this, but as you know, there are still a few DC-8 cargoplanes flying with new fuelefficient and noisereduced engines.
                This is also the case with the Boeing 707, but they mostly fly around in different air forces. (Although this ain't old 707, but newbuilt airplanes with the 707 design).
                Old Boeing 727s and 737s are also still in the air, but mainly in south-america and such.
                I belive they all disappeared from the sky in "developed" countries when the expences to bring them up to the new standards flew sky high and the aircraft had little or almost no ability to be economic successes after rebuilt to new standards.
                Why so many older planes with radial engines fly around, such as the DC-3, I don't know. Because old radial engines are something of the less economic form of energy you can find. That said, I'm so happy someone find it reasonable to keep beauties like the DC-3, DC-6, Convair and so on in the air!!

It can't all be explained by better fuel efficiency.
                So yes, I agree. I belive the main issue is in the new rules and regs around noisereduction a couple to three decades ago.
                Then the old type 727, 737, DC-8, BAC 1-11, DC-9 and so on started to disappear due to the cost with enginechange and renewed avionics.
                This is my wild guess....

That DC-10, rebuilt to a DC-10-30F, on the picture above has a long story. It started its life with Singapore Airlines in January 1980, and among the owners thereafter are Varig, World Airways, Garuda, Biman Bangladesh, Caledonian and McDonnell Douglas itself).

DC-10 is my favourite tri-holer of all times, and that picture went right into my heart!!
                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I think the demise of many aircraft was the three crew flight deck. Modern technologies made a two person cocpit possible. Cutting one crew member obviously seved the salary of a high paid flight officer and it freed up the space and had a significant weight reduction. All making a two crew flight deck much more economical.

Comment

I'll guess that the only DC-10 we will see in Oslo will be the Avient.. Try to cacth one of KLM's MD11 next year when I'm in Amsterdam

Air Berlin has also started with flights to Oslo in 2009

Comment

I'll guess that the only DC-10 we will see in Oslo will be the Avient..
                      What happened to the Aeroflot flights to and from OSL with DC-10....?
                      (I always thought they used a MD-11, but I belive it's in fact DC-10. Happy to be corrected if wrong)

Comment

As long as I have been at OSL, I have just seen Aeroflot with A319 & A320's but I don't mind to see them come in with a DC-10

Comment

As long as I have been at OSL, I have just seen Aeroflot with A319 & A320's but I don't mind to see them come in with a DC-10
                          Just found out that Aeroflot Cargo has three MD-11 in their new silver/flag livery, and have been several times at OSL with DC-10-30F in their old livery.
                          They load norwegian salmon and as far as I know, up to 50 pax.
                          Aeroflot Cargos schedule to and from OSL was not fixed to certain times, but they flew each Tuesday and Saturday.

Last: Aeroflot Cargo is decided shut down, according to sources.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                            I think the demise of many aircraft was the three crew flight deck. Modern technologies made a two person cocpit possible. Cutting one crew member obviously seved the salary of a high paid flight officer and it freed up the space and had a significant weight reduction. All making a two crew flight deck much more economical.
                            Didn't think of that, but I guess you point your finger on one important reason there.

Just as a general info in the discussion:
                            I know a Boeing 727-200 from the Bolivian airline AeroSur landed at Miami Int. Airport on November 2nd......, old JT8D 17R-17-15 engines and all....
                            That said, why am I not surpriced it was a Bolivian airline....?

Irony aside, this just prove there are lovely B727s still alive. And AeroSur got 6 of them, together with B737 (two of them being the old -200 with the old JT8D-17-9 engines), B767-200 and B747-400 in use on their Madrid, Spain route. 16 aircraft in total in their fleet...
                            Last edited by Sterkoder; November 7th, 2009, 03:07.

Comment

I have always loved the 737. The earliest commercial airline flights I remember were aboard 737 and DC-10. My last flight aboard a 737 was with Cayman Airways.

Comment

Working...
                              X