Extreme Flying.. or Landing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extreme Flying.. or Landing?

My Brother-in-Law is a Pilot with Cathay Pacific, but I don't know if he is checked out for A-330s.
    He is normally flying B-747s cross-Pacific, but some times make short trips out of HK when on lay-over there.
    Where did this happen???

Comment

Check out this video.... appears as if the planes just FALL to the ground, controlled but falling vertically:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

This does not look like a good end to the flight..:

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Don't know what happened to that C-17, but fatal and tragic as it may be...., the crosswind landings at Düsseldorf looks perfectly normal.
          I can understand if it looks like the planes are falling, but remember the planes are moving towards the camera at about 250 km/h and they are 'floating' on an air cushion (ground effect) in the flare and as we see in this video, wind is from their starboard so they should (and do) set their right main wheel first.
          These are landings almost by the book
          (I never get tired of looking at x-wind landings though).
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Very unfortunate that four people died aboard the C-17. Even worse considering it seemed to have been a very basic error, banking too steeply with not enough air speed. Apparently their stall warning was sounding but they continued the turn. It's one thing when flying a light aerobatic airplane with lots of power but in a massive transport that takes time to accelerate it's bad news.

Comment

I found this not so extreme landing on that Comedy Channel know as Fox News:
              http://video.foxnews.com/v/141339019...mp=sem_outloud

They should watch some landings at Vigra Airport, Aalesund.

Comment

I agree that is not so extreme, have seen plenty with greater angles than that. But what impresses me every time is the way the pilot straightens her up at the very last moment, probably with just a few feet to spare before making contact. Great to see the pilots skills at work. I guess crabbing into the wind like that is the only way to stay on course. A bit like being at sea with a good cross current running, ships heading will be a few degrees off the COG. Reminds me of hitting the currents when leaving the Solent, we would have to look out of the outer most front windows to get a straight view of where we were actually going. We had to cross through the inner anchorages each day with strong tidal conditions like that, towing a fully laden barge. In such conditions it's easy to see how the occasional 'bump' or mishap can happen. Staying down stream of one vessel often put you up stream of the next. For 3 months we had that pleasure each day, oh the joys of towing through the inner anchorages of the Eastern Solent.
                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Check out these landings in Spain during a windy day... especially the large jet at about the middle of the video!

http://www.dbtv.no/?vid=2036242447001

Comment

Of course we all think being a pilot sound cool...., and I'm in fact educated to be one....., but it is when we see films like this we all know why they earn as much as they do.

(Well, not in the US perhaps, where a pilot often have to have extra work to get the ends to meet, but here in Scandinavia...., where the there are 1. Officers in reach of NOK 1 million)

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                      I found this not so extreme landing on that Comedy Channel know as Fox News:
                      http://video.foxnews.com/v/141339019...mp=sem_outloud

They should watch some landings at Vigra Airport, Aalesund.
                      A line from the FoxNews link: Pilots claim technique is perfectly safe

Yeah, why shouldn't it...?
                      What we're looking at is text book performance of crosswind landings. Crab with straightening up the plane just seconds before touching ground with the upwind mainwheel first. Under the conditions, these are class landings. But of course, Fox is a sensation network, so...

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                        But of course, Fox is a sensation network, so...
                        Fox News is not know to let FACTS get in the way of a good story.

Comment

Yes, that was just what I ment...

Comment

How about this for an interesting take off - terrain warnings happily ignored. Now lets hope we don't loose an engine!

Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Fantastic video in a beautiful place. Rather a long way up to start with, even before they started to fly!
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Same airport, but here is a landing, as seen from the co*kpit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsZqN...e=em-hot-vrecs

Sound like the same pilot to me.

Does this get the adrenaline to flow faster among you aviators on CVF?

Comment

Working...
                                X