Extreme Flying.. or Landing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extreme Flying.. or Landing?

I bet everyone saw this amazing landing?

From the outside: http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/a...artid=10023439

From the inside: http://www.vgtv.no/#!id=46000
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Yes, saw that landing via videoes from many different directions.
      Strange maybe, but I wouldn't call this landing extreme. It's a textbook emergancy landing, and couldn't have been done better with wheels down and locked. But that's my opinion.
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I was amazed at how quiet it was inside the plane, i was waiting for it to land when everyone started to clap because they were down and the plane had stopped!

An amazing landing though, could not have done a better job. I wonder what caused the total failure? I have heard of a few occasions where one set of wheels have failed to come down and lock, but i do not think i have heard of a total failure like this before.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I do remember an aircraft in the US about 6-7-8 years ago, live on tv, was going to do an emergency landing where the nose wheel was 90 degrees out of position.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Is it realistic to make a plane airworthy again after such a landing?

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
              Is it realistic to make a plane airworthy again after such a landing?
              It would be costly, but yes, I belive so.
              The plane must undergo severe structural inspection. Engines must be changed, engine mountings changed, large parts of the belly must be inspected and changed, the wings and wing structure have been exposed to different kind of force than with all wheels out, so I guess some attention must also be turned towards them.
              All in all, such a landing cost huge ammount of money for the company, so in the end, does it cost less to scrap it...?
              But can such a plane fly again? My guess is yes.

Comment

In small planes landing with the gear up is usually not even a reported incident if nobody is seriously injured. It's just something you fix and move on.

Does anyone remember the Gimli Glider incident of 1983? A Air Canada 767 ran out of fuel due to a Imperial vs metric conversion error when fueling the plane. It landed on a dragstrip and the nose gear collapsed and the chin and belly were chewed-up by the guard rail separating the two drag strip lanes. Repairs were made and the plane was flow out of the drag strip two days after the incident. The plane continued to fly for Air Canada until it was retired in 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                  In small planes landing with the gear up is usually not even a reported incident if nobody is seriously injured. It's just something you fix and move on.

Does anyone remember the Gimli Glider incident of 1983? A Air Canada 767 ran out of fuel due to a Imperial vs metric conversion error when fueling the plane. It landed on a dragstrip and the nose gear collapsed and the chin and belly were chewed-up by the guard rail separating the two drag strip lanes. Repairs were made and the plane was flow out of the drag strip two days after the incident. The plane continued to fly for Air Canada until it was retired in 2008.
                  I do remember and always use this incident as an argument when discussing the merit of using the Metric system over Imperial units as the universal system.
                  As of now the mighty USA is the last holdout using an outdated system. Why cannot 300 Mill. people conform to a system used by the other 6.7 Bill. people on this earth??? (Round figures)

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                    I do remember and always use this incident as an argument when discussing the merit of using the Metric system over Imperial units as the universal system.
                    As of now the mighty USA is the last holdout using an outdated system. Why cannot 300 Mill. people conform to a system used by the other 6.7 Bill. people on this earth??? (Round figures)
                    You know, USA is actually using the metric system: 1 dollar is 100 cents...

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                      ...Why cannot 300 Mill. people conform to a system used by the other 6.7 Bill. people on this earth??? (Round figures)
                      Polotics.

It is actually required by law in The United States that beer be labeled in American!

Net contents must be expressed in American measure but may also be
                      expressed in metric measure

Vol 3 1-6 07/16/01

FORM OF STATEMENT

If the net contents of the container are: Less than 1 pint, the net contents must be shown in fluid ounces or fractions
                      of a pint

1 pint, 1 quart or 1 gallon, the net contents must be shown exactly that way

More than 1 pint but less than 1 quart, the net contents must be shown in
                      pints and fluid ounces or fractions of a quart

More than 1 quart but less than 1 gallon, the net contents must be shown in
                      quarts, pints and fluid ounces or fractions of a gallon

More than 1 gallon, the net contents must be shown in gallons and fractions
                      thereo

Nice of our government to at least allow the use of metric.

But, my reference is from 2001. Maybe we have gotten more modern since then.
                      Last edited by pilotdane; November 11th, 2011, 02:35.

Comment

A hovering Airbus A330?

http://jalopnik.com/5857968/watch-th...s?popular=true

Comment

Originally posted by Remarc View Post
                          Thanks for the link Remarc, but for some reason the video link did not work for me. However, i think i have found the same video on YouTube.

Wow! That's not something you see everyday!
                          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Wow! That is a very uncomfortable position for a plane like that. I don't even like watching. I'm kept expecting to see a wing drop and then metal bending.

Comment

Originally posted by Remarc View Post
                              WAOW.... when I think I have seen everything in my life, I get surprised again.

I'm glad I was not on board that aircraft that exact time...

Comment

I really hope this was continuous strong winds and not even a tiny bit of chanse of a wind shear in there.
                                Just a wind drop of 10 knots could make the day more hairy than they could've hoped for, those two up front.
                                Now, I know they knew what they were doing. All associated with Swire do

Swire...., you ask? Yes, Cathay Pacific is owned by Swire. Just check on the tail section of a Cathay aircraft next time you see one.
                                (That guy 'Sterkoder' must be over eagerly proud of carrying the Swire flag on his chest, you might say. Yes, even if I'm just working in a branch of Swire Group, the flag is the same ).
                                Last edited by Sterkoder; November 12th, 2011, 23:14.

Comment

Working...
                                X