No announcement yet.

Extreme Flying.. or Landing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last one, landing in Tegusigalpa was pretty hairy...
    I fly there quite frequently and our rule is to go around if you have not touched down by the first taxi-way on to the left..These guys floated half way down the runway and were lucky to turn off the runway in one piece...

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
      I thought you'd all like a look at this. Certifiable? ......Probably!
      14seconds after his wheels touched the runway he was turning on to the taxiway!

I totally agree Norseman, he was very lucky to make that turn. Boy i bet his brakes were hot! What airline was that?, i shall make a mental note never to fly with them. Still, 10 out of 10 for the 737's braking system, i think it passed the test.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
        Ride along as pilots defy death 1:31

Video from inside a ****pit allows you to ride along with the pilot as he lands a home-built airplane on a Florida road.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...ency.land.affl
        Lucky the streets were virtually empty, don't think i would want to look in my rearview mirror and see a plane landing behind me!
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Very extreme manouver by an SU-27, not a chance in recovering this one. Surely as either a combat pilot or a test pilot you should know your aircrafts limitations?

Another view.
          Last edited by SaintsFCFan; September 26th, 2009, 22:56.
          Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

I can't work out if th guy is nuts or gifted, either way that's some flying.

Comment

Now for a huge bomber such as the Vulcan, it certainly has the agility of a fighter.

Comment

I can't work out if th guy is nuts or gifted, either way that's some flying.

I think he's both nuts and gifted, but i also think he had one hell of a lot of trust and faith in that aircraft - either that or he didn't mean to come quite that close to the ground. Margin for error?, i think he used it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                  I think he's both nuts and gifted, but i also think he had one hell of a lot of trust and faith in that aircraft - either that or he didn't mean to come quite that close to the ground. Margin for error?, i think he used it all.
                  I agree, the margin for error there was minimal.... if any at all.... way too close for comfort. I can see a number of things actually go wrong there.
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

This guy is are certifiable, and so is the pilot!

Comment

This guy is are certifiable, and so is the pilot!

You will never see me do something like this!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Kim Vanvik, a photographer in Trondheim, shot this fantastic image of a landing Antonov at Værnes in June 2008.
                        It certainly is all about being there at the right time.
                        He put his image out at Airliners.net, and I copied it from that website.
                        (Don't know the scene before the picture was taken of course, but I guess this comes under 'extreme landing'?)

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Whoaaa... nose landing!

I heard (think I might have posted a link to it already.... ) that an Antonov recently visited Trondheim as well. Sadly, these visits are infrequent, and we normally get to hear about them after their departure. I would love to see an aircraft such as this some time.

Comment

You could try to visit the aviation forum at Scanair.no once in a while. They are usually well updated on what's moving around in the air
                            Avinor.no with arriving flights to Værnes could also be a source.
                            But in both cases, you have to monitor these webpages and that takes time, as they don't have a sound alarm for arriving Antonovs...
                            I would really like to see one of these birds in real life myself

Comment

You've got to admire that the pilot managed to do this on a wet runway too!
                              I'd like to see the aircraft's configuration on approach.
                              I'll take a guess at too much lift up to the moment of landing forcing the pilot pitch it nose down. Just a guess though!!

Comment

Yes, I tend to agree with you there.
                                As I said, we do not know what happened before the picture was taken, as this simply can be the result of a classic bounce.
                                But as you suggest, this might be a result of a wing profile in need of being piloted all the way down the runway after landing to the point of taxi...
                                Another well known western aircraft that has to be flown after landing, is the Lockheed C-130 Hercules.

Comment

Working...
                                X