[Boeing 787 Dreamliner]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [Boeing 787 Dreamliner]

A couple of days ago I was out flying the 787-8 of Norwegian Air Shuttle (DY), one of the first low cost carriers to take delivery of these. DY has used the media extensively to hype this aircraft to the point were it's almost like the second coming of christ, so this was a chance to see what the fuss is all about. Their first 787 (EI-LNA) was delivered last month, and they are using it on european routes from Oslo to "run it in" with their new crew. Destinations serviced with the 787 are from Oslo to Malaga, Alicante, Barcelona, Nice and London (LGW). I flew OSL-ALC.

DY has ordered several of these, and will fly them on routes from OSL, ARN, and CPH to JFK, BKK, and MIA. Their version is fairly densely configured, with 291 seats, compared to United's 240. I was flying low fare, which means economy and a seat pitch of 31" (3+3+3 configuration), that's too little for me, so I reserved a seat with increased leg room. Ended up in 24J, which was nice, just behind the emergency exit:

They do have a "premium class" with 38" pitch (2+3+2 configuration), which is like an average premium economy on a typical full service airline. I didn't go there as just 3,5 hours is a little bit too short to be worth paying 8x the price of regular economy, and there were a few seats with plenty of extra leg room to choose between in economy. DY seems to like leather seats a lot... For better and for worse. They do give a certain amount of premium feel, however if you wear the "wrong" type of clothes, they tend to be slippery, and I tend to get a little damp from leather seats if I sit in them for a long time. I like SAS's new Recaro cloth seats better though. On the 787 at least the first row of seats behind an exit were slightly narrower than usual, as the armrests were thicker as they had to house the folding table and the IFE-screen (usually found on the back of seat in front of you) That wasn't a problem for me, as I'm tall, but not very "wide"...

I was a bit lucky too, as I had that whole row of three seats to myself, one of the flight attendants were in 24G during take off and landing. Like I said, leg room was plentiful:

I had two episodes of Top Gear on my MacBook, which provided my IFE, so I didn't use the one embedded, only had a brief look at the 3D map:

To sum up, is this aircraft a revolution in air travel...? To the airlines it may represent a significant cost saving over something like a 767-200/300, but to most travelers, no, it's just like any other wide-body-jet, just newer with a fancier IFE and slightly bigger windows with a cool dimming feature, that's all... Some call it the 787 Nightmareliner, some the 787 Delayliner, others the 787 Fireliner. I would call it the 787 Hypeliner; It's a great new plane, however it isn't the second coming of christ that DY and the Norwegian tabloids have all hyped it up to be...
    Olympus user
    E-M1, E-M5
    w/ Lots of new and old (adapted lenses)...

Hurtigruten ships traveled on:
    MS Richard With, MS Nordnorge, MS Nordkapp, MS Nordlys, MS Finnmarken, MS Midnatsol (Both old and new)

Cruise ships traveled on:
    MS Sunbird, former RCI Song of America, now MS Louis Olympia (August 2002)
    MS Adventure of the Seas (October 2010)
    MS Vision of the Seas (June 2012)
    MS Enchantment of the Seas (October 2016)

Comment

Interesting stuff Eirik. You're right - they haven't half hyped this one up. Will be very interesting to see how the A350 does as it comes into service - all much quieter from Airbus than Boeing, but arguably more significant since such a big range of aircraft?

Has the fuss about 'flagging out' the planes to Ireland reduced yet? There was lots about it in the Norwegian press a few weeks ago.

The dimming windows feature seems to be a downside to me - at least in the old planes when you were on a long haul flight and the crew insisted that the little plastic shutters were drawn, you could still see some daylight and sneak a peek at the real world - but on the 787 if the windows are dimmed by the master switch, i assume all you can see is the long plastic tube you're sitting in!
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks so much for such a super little review of the new aircraft Eirik (and I'm always so impressed with your written English ). Also appreciated that you thought to take illustrative photos ….and model the leg room in that row of seats!

Yes Mark, I’m so agreeing on the dimming windows thing. I already find those enforced shutter closures the worst aspect of long haul flights for me, for they are so often not in synch with my personal and satisfactory adaptation to time changes. It seems like the airlines are determined that I should be able to experience jet lag like everybody else!

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
          Interesting stuff Eirik. You're right - they haven't half hyped this one up. Will be very interesting to see how the A350 does as it comes into service - all much quieter from Airbus than Boeing, but arguably more significant since such a big range of aircraft?

Has the fuss about 'flagging out' the planes to Ireland reduced yet? There was lots about it in the Norwegian press a few weeks ago.

The dimming windows feature seems to be a downside to me - at least in the old planes when you were on a long haul flight and the crew insisted that the little plastic shutters were drawn, you could still see some daylight and sneak a peek at the real world - but on the 787 if the windows are dimmed by the master switch, i assume all you can see is the long plastic tube you're sitting in!
          Yes, the A350 is a significantly larger aircraft, more of a competitor to the 777.

I'm under the impression that most of the noise over Norwegian splitting out their long haul branch to a separate company based in Ireland has quietened down. Most of the reason for this is the boss, Bjørn Kjos, has a lot of goodwill with the Norwegian tabloids, all he needs to to is to put on his slippery smile and say all will be well, and they will leave him alone. This strategy has been his "get-out-of-jail-free-card". All in All Airbus hasn't been as loud about the A350, neither has SAS who have ordered some of them. I think B787-9 was out of the question completely for SAS, especially after the big 767 disappointment.

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
          Thanks so much for such a super little review of the new aircraft Eirik (and I'm always so impressed with your written English ). Also appreciated that you thought to take illustrative photos ….and model the leg room in that row of seats!

Yes Mark, I’m so agreeing on the dimming windows thing. I already find those enforced shutter closures the worst aspect of long haul flights for me, for they are so often not in synch with my personal and satisfactory adaptation to time changes. It seems like the airlines are determined that I should be able to experience jet lag like everybody else!
          Yes, I always try my best. At 6ft 1in, I'm rather tall as well so I'm a good measurement of whether the leg room is good or not...

Ah, yes the dimming windows. They don't go completely dark, even at the darkest they are still transparent. When the sun shines straight on them, it's still fairly bright, so you can't block out the sun completely. However, I'm not familiar with the "master dimming" as OSL-ALC was just 3 hours and 25 minutes, so always in daylight. However I believe when the master is set to fully dim, that is the default setting, but you are free to brighten your window.
          Olympus user
          E-M1, E-M5
          w/ Lots of new and old (adapted lenses)...

Hurtigruten ships traveled on:
          MS Richard With, MS Nordnorge, MS Nordkapp, MS Nordlys, MS Finnmarken, MS Midnatsol (Both old and new)

Cruise ships traveled on:
          MS Sunbird, former RCI Song of America, now MS Louis Olympia (August 2002)
          MS Adventure of the Seas (October 2010)
          MS Vision of the Seas (June 2012)
          MS Enchantment of the Seas (October 2016)

Comment

It's a Dreamliner :-)
            I've been covering it from every angle there is from the outside

Norwegian - EI-LNA & LN-NOM - B787-8 & B737-800 by Tom McNikon, on Flickr

Norwegian - EI-LNA - B787-8 Dreamliner by Tom McNikon, on Flickr

Oh, flex baby.... FLEX!!!

View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

Comment

• Tommi
              Tommi commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey, where's the trail of smoke? :-)

The fireliner.............

Comment

Some more Dreamliner

Here along with a 737-300

Norwegian - LN-KKL & EI-LNA - B737-300 & B787-8 Dreamliner by Tom McNikon, on Flickr

Move it maggot

Norwegian & SAS - EI-LNA & LN-RRN - B787-8 & B737-700 by Tom McNikon, on Flickr

Comment

• Steve.B
                Steve.B commented
                Editing a comment
                I love the way the wing flexes when under load. I remember watching a video a year or two ago that showed them testing one of those wings to destruction. Cannot remember the angle they managed to bend it to before it broke, but i am sure it must have been well past 50 degrees.

• Steve.B
                Steve.B commented
                Editing a comment
                Having said that, i wonder what it would be like going through severe turbulence at 36k feet, would i feel so impressed looking out of the window watching the wing flexing up and down?

I notice that this one is registered in Ireland. Why???

Comment

Dreamliner documentary from youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw0POFsgzFk

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Not sure we've posted the link to this one before.

Hang on to your breakfasts.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Idiot remark: watching it touch down at about 1.47 then take off again almost immediately at 1.52 surprised me in that obviously take-off and landing speeds are more or less the same. If I thought about it at all, I would have assumed that landing would have been the lesser speed.
                  Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                  Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• pilotdane
                    pilotdane commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No, it's not immediately obvious. When you think about it the speeds are the same but landing can generally be slower because of the lighter fuel load.
                    ---
                    The one bit of useless trivia I learned from a engineer that surprised me was that takeoff is harder on the runway than landing. The worst is the initial start of the takeoff run. The plane is at it's heaviest and the acceleration shifts the plane's weight to the main (rear) wheels which places a very heavy load on the pavement. When landing the plane is lighter and at touch down when you think it would be bad most of the aircraft's weight is still supported by the wing

Amazing flight performance, i would guess it is because of the special shape of the wings. Copied out of the nature. Albatross design?
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

A bit from the Qatar Dreamliner that took me half way to BKK (OSL-DOH) I got my self a priority pre-boarding about 20 min before the priority boarding so I could have a look around the plane.

Before we enter the plane.

Qatar - A7-BCB - B787-8 Dreamliner by Tom Gulbrandsen, on Flickr

Let's have a look outside

Qatar - A7-BCB - B787-8 Dreamliner
                    by Tom Gulbrandsen, on Flickr

Not the smallest engines in the world for a long haul plane

Qatar - A7-BCB - B787-8 Dreamliner [Explore #5]

The wheels is not as high as me, but not far away

Comment

Not much space for your legs, so you should not be over 1.80 and have long legs

But this is comfortabe

Comment

Those seats up front are really nice and comfortable-looking.

One of the only things that I really hate by flying Business and First Class is that it's not easy to look out the windows during your time on board.

But the food and the champagne helps a little bit in trying to forget all about it.

I haven't flown on a Dreamliner as of yet, so one thing I notice immediately with your photos is that the windows does look a lot bigger than usual.
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                        X