An Evening With The Avro Vulcan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Evening With The Avro Vulcan

Hi folks! I know it's been a while since I've logged time on here with anything I've done, I do apologise for my frequent absences.

Anyhoo! Here's what I got up to last Friday evening.
    I spent a couple of hours at the former RAF Finningley airbase, these days called Robin Hood Airport.
    This is the last flying Avro Vulcan on the planet, and of course as such she attracts plenty of interest. Sadly this may be her last year of flight.
    So here are a few photos from this last Friday of the Vulcan.

Waiting on runway and about to power up her four Rolls-Royce Olympus engines... a few seconds later and she unleashes her famous "Vulcan Howl" which resonates like a banshee across the airbase.

In a matter of moments after she leaves the runway the Vulcan is overhead with an ear splitting roar.

Immediately after clearing the airbase she rapidly banks over to fly over her first destination... my home town and my house as it happened!

Here she is after completing a 1.5 hour sortie around England.

Clearing the hedge descending to the runway for a go-around, or a missed approach as it was extremely windy.

To be continued...
    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Re: An Evening With The Avro Vulcan

The Vulcan port side on with airbrakes deployed.

Already powering up her four engines to climb again.

Here you can see the throttles being opened up from the smoke pouring out the exhausts.

After completing the go-around the Vulcan safely lands at home again.

Hope you enjoyed the photos, as addition here is my short video of her take-off.
    This is the Vulcan Howl!!
    Last edited by SaintsFCFan; June 2nd, 2013, 21:57.

Comment

That's a very large wing indeed! Nice captures!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
        That's a very large wing indeed! Nice captures!
        Thank you Tommi, a very enjoyable evening indeed.

Comment

Fantastic Paul..., thanks!!!

I've followed the restoration of this Vulcan and their struggle to get fundings for years via the once fantastic British aviation magazine FlyPast.
          It's a pitty if this will be her last flying year, as all the work and effort to bring her to flying condition eventually will be set back to zero.
          It's so sad!
          I mean, the cost of keeping this beauty flying with crew and infrastructure would be a camels fart in the desert compared to what is spent on military operations on a daily basis in Britain or any other country for that matter...

I also want to watch your video, but that just have to wait as I'm right now relaxing to Chris De Burgh on Spotify.
          Now, isn't that a great artist or what...? (Oooops, going off topic )

What a Friday you must've had! Wich I could be there to hear the howling wing flying...
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
            Fantastic Paul..., thanks!!!

I've followed the restoration of this Vulcan and their struggle to get fundings for years via the once fantastic British aviation magazine FlyPast.
            It's a pitty if this will be her last flying year, as all the work and effort to bring her to flying condition eventually will be set back to zero.
            It's so sad!
            I mean, the cost of keeping this beauty flying with crew and infrastructure would be a camels fart in the desert compared to what is spent on military operations on a daily basis in Britain or any other country for that matter...

I also want to watch your video, but that just have to wait as I'm right now relaxing to Chris De Burgh on Spotify.
            Now, isn't that a great artist or what...? (Oooops, going off topic )

What a Friday you must've had! Wich I could be there to hear the howling wing flying...
            Thank you Svein! It was a welcome relief to get out and about.

Yep! The Vulcan To The Sky Trust has suffered from lack of funds throughout it's time, they do try their best to keep her flying.
            They have a huge mountain to climb if they keep her flying, they need to replace to main wing spar at an immense cost.
            After reaching beyond her target of flying time, the Vulcan will most likely never fly again. That day you will see a grown man cry... me!

I am very lucky really, an hours radius and I have five airbases I can visit. ex-RAF Finningley (Vulcan), RAF Waddington (E3 Sentry and much more), RAF Coningsby (Avro Lancaster, Dakota, Spitfires, Hurricane, Tornadoes, Typhoons), ex-RAF East Kirkby (Avro Lancaster) and last but not least our nearby airbase RAF Scampton (Red Arrows).
            In due course we will have a the second Avro Lancaster flying again from RAF East Kirkby... again you'll see a grown man cry again! LOL
            I say that because old aircraft of any type evokes a large emotion from me, I just love aircraft Svein!!

Hopefully next week I'll get up to RAF Scampton and see the Red Arrows practicing, to say that I'm only 10 mins from them I don't get up there as much as I should do. I'm really not sure why that is though?

Here is the Vulcan at ex-RAF Newark, this shows just how big the Delta Lady is.

Comment

Ooooo, if I only were in the visinity of that number of air bases!!!

Talking to my boss about going to a major airshow again, as we were in Paris with a couple of friends in 2009, it would be time again for another gathering.
              It will not be this year though, as we get our need for airshow experience well covered at Ørlandet Main Air Station at NATO Tiger Meet 22. June.

I know a main criteria of his when going to a European airshow is 'easy reached' from Oslo airport Gardermoen, so we might be thinking of Farnborough, Duxford or something...., but wouldnt it be great if I managed to talk him and the other participants into going to Waddington...?

Don't know how 'easily reached' it is in terms of travelling from Norway though..

Anyway, this is not a rushable idea and we just have to let time work. There are the time schedule of four guys that must fit together.
              "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

There is something "so very alien" to this aircraft....

But I bet its a great plane!
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                  Ooooo, if I only were in the visinity of that number of air bases!!!

Talking to my boss about going to a major airshow again, as we were in Paris with a couple of friends in 2009, it would be time again for another gathering.
                  It will not be this year though, as we get our need for airshow experience well covered at Ørlandet Main Air Station at NATO Tiger Meet 22. June.

I know a main criteria of his when going to a European airshow is 'easy reached' from Oslo airport Gardermoen, so we might be thinking of Farnborough, Duxford or something...., but wouldnt it be great if I managed to talk him and the other participants into going to Waddington...?

Don't know how 'easily reached' it is in terms of travelling from Norway though..

Anyway, this is not a rushable idea and we just have to let time work. There are the time schedule of four guys that must fit together.
                  There are plenty of old airbases around here Svein, and even a few active frontline bases.
                  RAF Waddington isn't the easiest of places to get to if you are flying in via London or even Manchester.
                  You can get to RAF Waddington by going from London to Lincoln, staying in Lincoln (Bracebridge Heath area) and then a bus / taxi to the airbase. Not easy, but doable!

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                    There is something "so very alien" to this aircraft....

But I bet its a great plane!
                    The Vulcan stirs up a lot emotions when she takes to the air, she has that strange effect on everyone there.
                    I've lost count of the times I've seen her flying, especially during the 1970's when they did scramble alerts sending all of RAF Scampton's Vulcan's in the air.
                    The sound of multiple Vulcan's taking off was ear shattering to say the least.
                    She is a great plane though, she was capable of Mach 0.95 and a maximum ceiling of 60,000ft.
                    Although today she is limited to 17,500ft due to her advancing age. But when she takes off she can still go vertical and embarrass modern jets.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                      The Vulcan stirs up a lot emotions when she takes to the air, she has that strange effect on everyone there.
                      I've lost count of the times I've seen her flying, especially during the 1970's when they did scramble alerts sending all of RAF Scampton's Vulcan's in the air.
                      The sound of multiple Vulcan's taking off was ear shattering to say the least.
                      She is a great plane though, she was capable of Mach 0.95 and a maximum ceiling of 60,000ft.
                      Although today she is limited to 17,500ft due to her advancing age. But when she takes off she can still go vertical and embarrass modern jets.
                      Needless to say, very impressive nonethless!
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Paul's spirit was surely aboard XH558 when she flew into RNAS Culdrose for the 2014 air day.

Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

• Seagull
                          Seagull commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm sure too. I was also thinking fondly of Paul when I saw a TV programme about the Red Arrows recently.

Yes, Steve, and he'd have been taking photos of the watchers down on the ground, bless him.
                        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

​According to BBC World News the Vulcan will make her last flight over the UK this month: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-34495905

She will be doing so with the name of well remembers member of the CVF family written somewhere on her fuselage.
                          I don't know if Tess is still looking in here from time to time, but I'm sure she is very proved, although this will be the last flight for Paul's pride and joy.

Comment

I had an email from Tess this morning, by coincidence. She said that the Vulcan flew over Gainsborough last Saturday and she also went to a cafe near RAF Waddington and was able to see the plane from there. I don't know whether our Paul's name was finally put on to the bomb doors, Tess was upset some time ago because it had not yet been done and, of course, it would have been perfect if it were done before these final flights took place. But I have not liked to mention it again because I did not want to distress her.
                            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
                            X