Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seaplanes

News from the monthly local newspaper here in Kristiansund and Nordmøre:

There will be held an International Seaplane Meeting in Aure just 40 km east of Kristiansund 26.-27. May 2012.

I haven't found the digital version of the paper on the papers homepages yet ( www.nordmørsavisa.no ), but when it's shown there, the paper can in fact be read in total for free in a link found inside their webpages.
    The guy working with the event for over a year is a guy from Germany who moved to Aure with his family a while back to start a holiday resort/camping.
    This could be really something, as he has sent invitation to all seaplane aeroclubs in Europe.
    Can I hope to see (and hear) the former norwegian DHC-2 Beaver LN-BIE, now a german seaplane...., with its radial engine and all...? Hmmm, wouldn't that be great!

Have to come back to the exact place of the happening later, as I don't remember more precise than Aure just now.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Re: Seaplanes

I love the beavers though I must admit to really liking the turbine ones. Something about the power and the radial engine ones just don't have enough rumble.

Comment

A small Cessna in the Finnish archipelago:
      https://vimeo.com/104008865

I suspect that it's filmed from a AS350.

Comment

WOW...., I'm lost for words! Thanks for sharing Tommi :-)
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

CATALINA.

Comment

• pilotdane
            pilotdane commented
            Editing a comment
            I have read several books written by Catalina crew during WWII. It was interesting to learn all the tricks they used to stay alive and make the most of their under powered floating gliders. Most interesting I thought was to learn that they would cruise at medium altitude to look for Japanese submarines on the surface charging their batteries. Since the Catalina was so slow the submarine would hear their engines and dive before they could get on the scene to attack. So... of course. Turn off the engines while far away and glide in silently. Strafe and drop bombs and depth charges and then hope to get the engines re-started before meeting the water. All while hundreds of miles away from help and never truly certain of where they were.

• ombugge
            ombugge commented
            Editing a comment
            When I was on the Drillship Fredericksburg working in the South China Sea we used a Catalina converted for civilian use for crew change flights from Singapore to Merak in the Anambas Islands. Sometime an exiting ride, especially in the NE Monsoon Season, when the bay we landed in was exposed to swell in the outer part, reducing the length of usable body of water to a minimum.
        Working...
        X