PLANE TALK - a YouTube aviation nostalgic video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLANE TALK - a YouTube aviation nostalgic video

Found this 21 minutes long video from YouTube on an aviation forum. Like the nostalgic person I might be, I just had to make sure others watched it too. I was only 2 years old whan this film was made, but I can sure enjoy the mood of it. Turn up the volume, listen to the music, voices, noise...., and note the climb rate of the old birds....

Sit back, relax and make yourself a good cup of coffee, tea or whatever, here we go:
    Last edited by Sterkoder; February 21st, 2012, 08:22.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Re: PLANE TALK - a YouTube aviation nostalgic video

That was an enjoyable 20 minutes viewing. That was made the year i was born, and all of that equipment they used back then looks like it should be in a museum now! (I wonder if my kids think the same when they look at me? - probably!).

And i could not believe how polite and well spoken everybody was, and i thought it was just us Brits that sounded like that in old film clips.

What was the jet near the beginning of the clip that had all three engines on the tail, was that a tri-star? I grew up under the flight path to Heathrow and i remember those jets made one hell of a noise in normal flight.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

What was the jet near the beginning of the clip that had all three engines on the tail,
      If you mean the plane taking off when the video has run just 9 seconds, it is the beautiful classic Boeing 727.
      (Happy to say I've flown one, New York-Tampa-Melbourne (FL) with Eastern. Flew their just as beautiful Lockheed TriStar from Orlando to New York. And experiencing SAS DC-10 on the long-haul New York-Gardermoen and vice versa...., I was a rather happy guy...., when it came to flying tri-holers)
      Last edited by Sterkoder; February 22nd, 2012, 08:10.

Comment

The one i spotted was at 40sec into the video, Eastern Airlines. A lovely side on shot of her taking off. I am not knowledgeable enough to know if it's the same model that we see right at the start. Nice looking plane though.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Nope, that's a Boeing 727 also.
          I should've known better when you first asked, because the Lockheed TriStar didn't fly until November 1970, and from the roman numbers initially in the video, it seems like the filmis prodused in 1968-69 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
            If you mean the plane taking off when the video has run just 9 seconds, it is the beautiful classic Boeing 727.
            (Happy to say I've flown one, New York-Tampa-Melbourne (FL) with Eastern. Flew their just as beautiful Lockheed TriStar from Orlando to New York. And experiencing SAS DC-10 on the long-haul New York-Gardermoen and vice versa...., I was a rather happy guy...., when it came to flying tri-holers)
            I just posted a picture of a L-1011 TriStar in the plan spotter thread.

As for the B727 that was one of those planes that appeared to vanish very quickly.
            I can't remember when I last flew in one, or even seen one.

I remember this type best from flying many times with Aerolinias Argentinas B-727s from Buenos Aires to Rio Grande in Tierra del Fuego v.v. in the early 1980s. (Between early 1982 - 85)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
              That was an enjoyable 20 minutes viewing. That was made the year i was born, and all of that equipment they used back then looks like it should be in a museum now!
              You noticed that this film is actually made by the Bell company to show off the modern possibilities of telecommunication! It's almost as the planes are the ones that have gone through the smallest changes since those days.

Comment

I just posted a picture of a L-1011 TriStar in the plan spotter thread.
                That plane in the aviation spotter thread #399, image nr. 2 there, is a beautiful MD-11 from McDonnell Douglas.
                Older versions are of course called DC-10, but it doese'nt matter, as long as Boeing now owns everything...

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                  That plane in the aviation spotter thread #399, image nr. 2 there, is a beautiful MD-11 from McDonnell Douglas.
                  Older versions are of course called DC-10, but it doese'nt matter, as long as Boeing now owns everything...
                  I stand corrected, but I don't mind as it comes from a aviation expert.

Comment

Don't know about the 'expert' part, but thanks all the same.

While we're at it, let me just post an image of the TriStar I found on the internet. (Via Yed Q./Airlines and Airliners)

Initially, American Airlines approached Lockheed and McDonnell Douglas and asked them to come up with an airplane slightly smaller than the Boeing 747, but still capable to fly non-stop from company hubs in Dallas and New York to such places as London, Caribbean and Latin America.

Lockheed came up with the TriStar and Douglas with the DC-10.
                    American never flew the TriStar, as they purchased a lot of DC-10s.

The main viewable difference between the two are the third engine, whereas DC-10 has an external one and TriStar has one integrated in the tailcone given air via a S-duct. This reduced the noise.
                    Last edited by Sterkoder; February 24th, 2012, 07:52. Reason: Oh, those details. Changed i to I...

Comment

The only time I see DC-10's these days are the MD-11F freighters used by UPS and FedEx.

Comment

Yes, Dane...., I belive most MD-11s flying today might be of the F-type cargo plane.
                        I know NWA had a lot for passenger flights, but I don't think they have any left. KLM might have some, but I know they plan to change them for A330s and B777s.
                        Lufthansa fly MD-11F and so does Aeroflot.
                        China Airways had them, but I can't seem to remember seeing a passenger version from that company for a long time, and they use B747-400F for cargo hauls.
                        Nope, can't come up with any airline flying passengers in MD-11s any more. Anyone...?

Comment

I have two very memorable flights aboard DC-10's and as far as I can remember they were my only two flights on DC-10's:

As a child I remember riding aboard a DC-10 as my parents say one year prior to the little snafu where an engine fell off. The reason I remember that flight was our plane had mechanical difficulty. My mom was throwing a major fit in the terminal that she was not getting on that plane and dad saying it was OK. Several hours later we finally boarded. I had a window seat and as we taxied out saw a 4m tall catering truck drive under a taxiing plane who's belly is only 3m off the ground. We stopped for what seemed like forever as I watched the fire trucks and everyone running about. I still do not understand why we were stopped for so long. He did not hit our plane after all.

Twenty+ years later in Salt Lake City on a hot summer's day our full plane took off. I was in an exit row facing a flight attendant. We ran down the runway forever, rotated and got about to the edge of the lake when there was a "boom" and flash out the window, the plane shook and the flight attendant's eye's got very, very big. We looked at each other and I said "that's not good" and she said "I don't think so" as she bent over and grabbed a big 3 ring binder from under the seat. She flipped through, found the appropriate procedure and went to work. After burning off fuel we landed safely with fire trucks lining the runway. They had us stop in the middle of nowhere as the fire trucks circled and waited in case the brakes caught fire. Eventually we were allowed back to the gate where we were moved to another plane, all of us in the identical seats. The pilot soon announced that due to the troubles drinks were free. It seems the aft of the plane was full of non-Mormans judging by the drinks being consumed and the flight attendant parked the cart in front of me and said "you are the bartender".

Comment

So it was an interesting take off then, Dane? Wow, if that were me i think i would of most certainly have been a customer of yours at the drinks counter! I think i may have needed just one or two.

How many DC-10's managed to eject an engine whilst in flight? Was it just the one? I know when i was at school they seemed to have gained a rather dodgy reputation in respect of engines parting company with the plane. But you know what hype can be like when your a kid. Did the plane really deserve it's reputation?

Comment

Working...
                            X