Tribute To RED ARROWS RED 4 Pilot JON EGGING

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tribute To RED ARROWS RED 4 Pilot JON EGGING

You may or may not know that this afternoon Red Pilot 4 Jon Egging suffered a fatal crash at Bournemouth Air Display.
    An immensely sad day for his family and his Red Arrows team mates, brave act steering his aircraft to an open field away from a densely populated town area, no thought for ejecting.
    I have to say that all Red Arrows pilots are honorary Lincolnshire Yeller Belly's, they are one of our own, my thoughts are with his family and fellow pilots!
    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Re: Tribute To RED ARROWS RED 4 Pilot JON EGGING

I heard about this earlier today...before they knew of the pilot. What a truly brave, selfless act to save others. My thoughts are added to yours!

Comment

My thoughts also, difficult as it is to find words….he had fulfilled his lifelong dream to join the Red Arrows, and died living that dream and putting others first.

Comment

I raise my glass to Jon Egging and best wishes go to his family and friends to get through this.

Unfortunately I have have known too many dead people. I rarely enjoy watching an airshow anymore. If they do their work up high where I can see I enjoy it but if it's one of those "flashy" shows where they are coming down close to the ground I just do not like to watch. The airshow circuit in The States is constantly changing and not for good reasons. I remember a stable period in the 90's but then there was a period where so many people died. The performers I saw last year were just not around anymore. I've grown up around airplanes and I recall seeing my first death airshow death when I was about 8. By the time I was in my late 20's and 30's and really getting to know the people the thrill of the show wore off big time. The "whap" sound is very hard to get out of your mind.

I just cannot stop my heart and thoughts going out to Jon's family. Jon died suddenly doing what he really loved (I have never met him but I'm only guessing). His family and friends are left to deal with his loss.

I can remember the many "discussions" with Kelly. She hated/tolerated my parachute. It was a cool conversation piece at parties but she understood what it could mean. I had one or two friends who understood but most just thought it was "neat" and wanted to try it on. Those that knew did not want to touch it or even look at it. I can only imagine how Jon's family felt watching him train and perform over the years.
        Last edited by pilotdane; August 21st, 2011, 23:41.

Comment

This is the first fatality the Red Arrows have suffered Dane, according to the local news service this has hit them very hard.
          They are being returned to flight, and as far as I understand they fly back to their home base of RAF Scampton tomorrow.
          I think that will be a sombre flight back seeing as they haven't flown since the accident last Saturday.
          The RAF also state that when they are back flying displays they will be flying an 8 aircraft formation instead of the normal 9.
          Apparently they don't have anyone that can fly the 4th position without being trained, understandable I guess.

While I haven't been present at a fatal airshow accident, I have spent too many years on motorcycles and the inevitable horror show that comes with it.
          Coming back from events I've had the misfortune to see folks getting killed in front of me, and in some cases, ending up in various states of not being whole. (I won't elaborate on that though)
          You know Dane, the strange thing is that all of the fatal accidents I've seen were avoidable.
          The rank stupidity I've seen from both motorcycle riders and car drivers is astonishing, probably why I gave up riding in the end!

In the near future I'll look forward to seeing the Red Arrows doing their thing again, they are in every way more than an aerobatic display team, they are ambassadors for the RAF and for our county of Lincolnshire.
          Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

I am glad, and not surprised, that the Arrows are getting back in the saddle.

My most recent (several years ago) was an acquaintance of mine based at my airport. He made a rookie stall/spin mistake on takeoff and they dragged the wreckage back to the main hangar for investigation. Not many things have made me cry but seeing the cokcpit brought me down. Every now and then something really brings it home that all the close calls in our life could have ended slightly different.

I have never met any of the Red Arrows but I assume they are similar to the Blue Angels, Thunderbirds or Canadian Snowbirds. Consummate professionals who love what they do and would go crazy if they could not do it.

Comment

Working...
            X