X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warbird Aviation!!

I couldn't think of anything more apt for these old warhorses, over the period of any war there were some highly remarkable aircraft designed, built and flown by uniquely brave pilots.

Let me begin with these two old adversaries of the Supermarine Spitfire & Messerschmitt Bf 109 G10.
    Two of the finest WWII fighters ever built and to watch them flying side by side is just jaw dropping.
    R.J. Mitchell & Wille Messerschmitt certainly created the best known aircraft the world had ever seen... and still today they are supremely iconic!!

Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Re: Warbird Aviation!!

Yes!
    If it's one time and age in aviation I really enjoy, it's the warbird periode!
    Luckily I was able to see a dogfight live between a Spit and a Bf109 live at Gardermoen in 1984. Great!!!
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I agree Sterkoder, one of the most fascinating and inventive periods in history.
      I saw a Spit and BF109 at RAF Waddington last year, I took some video of it somewhere... but where it went to... arrrrgh!
      When I find it I'll upload it, how can I loose video as easy as this? I think I'm getting senile! lol

Comment

Have scanned a few pictures I took years back, when I walked around with my analogue DSL camera in 1987 and 1992.
        (To be honest, I don't remember if I have showed you these before, in the old CVF, but nice planes can always be looked at again).

Here's a WW2 RAF Hawker Hurricane at Titusville Air Show in Florida 1987.

At the same air show were also this Boeing PT-17 Stearman

Also at Titusville were this North American P-51 Mustang

And just airborne, a North American B-25 Mitchell

Comment

Then, in 1992, we had our second air show here at Kvernberget airport in Kristiansund. Both in 1985 (our first show) and in 1992, I sat in the arrangement committee.
          It was hard work, and we had agreements with the RNoAF to participate with both trainers and fighters.
          The work got even harder when the RNoAF pulled out due to a fatal crash with an F-5 Freedomfighter in 1985 and yet again, pulled out after a fatal accident with an F-16 in 1992.
          In 1992 we managed on a very short notice to get hold of a B-26 Invader an P-51 Mustang.
          Here's a few of my pictures, and start with the Invader

Then one of the Mustang

The following images is not of a typical warbird, but I guess the Grumman C-2 Trader comes close now. Anyway, I post a couple of pictures here because I love the design (always loved the Grumman planes), and I very much love the engines and their sound. This Grumman was just one of many visiting Kristiansund during a NATO exercise in 1980, TeamWork '80.
          (These images are taken by a simple AGFA Instamatic 35mm)

And for someone who from time to time get pissed about the security regime at airports, I have to point out how close the plane is to the very simple and low fence.
          Kvernberget airport were an eldorado for planespotters those days. Many times you didn't need zoom, as the planes were only a couple of meters away.
          Last edited by Sterkoder; October 30th, 2011, 20:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
            Then, in 1992, we had our second air show here at Kvernberget airport in Kristiansund. Both in 1985 (our first show) and in 1992, I sat in the arrangement committee.
            It was hard work, and we had agreements with the RNoAF to participate with both trainers and fighters.
            The work got even harder when the RNoAF pulled out due to a fatal crash with an F-5 Freedomfighter in 1985 and yet again, pulled out after a fatal accident with an F-16 in 1992.
            In 1992 we managed on a very short notice to get hold of a B-26 Invader an P-51 Mustang.
            Here's a few of my pictures, and start with the Invader
            Because I am the one I am, I'm curious what that opening in the wing is... that squeezed circular open hole in the front of the wing?
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Belive it or not; I don't know.
              What such 'holes' in wing leading edges usually is on airplanes in general, is either one of three things:

a) C0ckpit coolant (some sort of ram-air aircondition, but strange then that it is on each side and on the outside of the engines)
              b) Air intake for cooling down any engine part
              c) Air inlet for the oil cooler

I'd go for the latter

Now, here's a short movie that almost manage to bring forward tears. I am a huge fan of the Mustang and its howling, and the one in this movie marked B6 - S 'Old Crow, is the very same aircraft visiting KB in 1992.

Last edited by Sterkoder; October 31st, 2011, 08:17.

Comment

Just had to take a peep at this thread!....the Mustang #5/3...what a great image that is.
                Last edited by Seagull; October 31st, 2011, 10:57.

Comment

Howdy everyone.
                  Friday was the first day I felt well enough ina while to go out for a few hours, so here I was at the Sentry Post Enclosure, a special area for aviation enthusiasts to watch the comings and goings at RAF Waddington.
                  I straight away thought of Sterkoder and brought back these two video's of an E-3 Sentry and a Sentinel R1. As well as a few photos too of course!

E-3 Sentry

Sentinel R1

Here's the E-3 Sentry just after take off.

Here's the E-3 Sentry taxiing to it's stand.

Here's the Sentinel R1 landing.

Here she is in flight.

Comment

Fantastic to learn that you've found back to the planespotter in you again, and above all...., when you finally feel well enough to go outside, you think about ME! Paul..., I'm honored!!! Thanks!

I really didn't know RAF had that Sentinel in their inventory.

Paul, thanks for those pictures and videos with delightful sound....
                    Last edited by Sterkoder; January 16th, 2012, 00:49.

Comment

Your welcome my friend! Considering your huge love of aircraft Sterkoder, I knew you'd like it!

Comment

Beautiful photos. Thank you for getting out and taking them for us.

Comment

So very good to see you back in action Paul….and such astoundingly brilliant photos too!…
                          Specially like the one of the Sentinel R1 landing….it has everything…the exhaust effects, that light and the sky and cloud, and the silhouettes of the guys in the control tower as a finishing touch!

Comment

Thank you all very much for your kind words! It was nice to just get out for a couple of hours in fresh air.
                            Some of my time is spent being prodded by doctors, good to actually shoot with the camera as opposed to shooting them! LOL
                            glad you all enjoyed a few photos from the day.

Lockheed C-130 Hercules Take Off

Sentinel R1 Take Off

Lockheed C-130 Hercules Overshoot

E-3 Sentry Overshoot

E-3 Sentry About to Exit Runway

Comment

Another couple of photos from RAF Waddington Sentry Post.

Comment

Working...
                              X