Jämtlands Flyg- och Lottamuseum, Optands Flygfelt - Östersund, Sweden

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jämtlands Flyg- och Lottamuseum, Optands Flygfelt - Östersund, Sweden

When looking through some old boxes tonight, I also found some analog photos from back in 2002/3 when we was on vacation in sweet Sweden.
    Upon return to Norway, we stopped at the museum in Östersund for aircraft (both military and civil) and women in the armed forces (called 'lotter'),

We also see the huge delta wing of the swedish fighter SAAB Draken, a SAAB Viggen fighter forward to the right, a Bell UH-1 helicopter and a Norseman farthest away, far away left is a North American T-6 Texan (Harvard) and low to the left is the trainer Scottish Aviation Bulldog

Without telling, you can figure out for yourself who those two are in the middle of the frame there...

SAAB Lansen. The sweeds built beautiful aircraft themselves...

Up the Viggens a.....nozzle

Behind the wing you can see the silvery SAAB Tunnan far away

And in an outdoor shelter was another SAAB Draken

They also had a cosy café and a kiosk wher you could by books, magazines and other things
    Last edited by Sterkoder; July 25th, 2011, 01:29.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Re: Jämtlands Flyg- och Lottamuseum, Optands Flygfelt - Östersund, Sweden

That museum is quite a change from my last museum, the newish Smithsonian museum at Dulles airport. It does seem odd to see the planes in such close quarters but I am jealous that you were able to get so close. The big, fancy Smithsonian is nice but seeing a plane hanging from the ceiling is very different than being able to touch it.

Comment

Oh yes indeed…close up and personal! That is some museum!

My next thought was why haven’t I been there! –I was travelling around Sweden so much in those years…and even had a digital camera (D had been an early adopter and I was already doing deals for his cast-offs). But no, I was on the Baltic coast that summer, Vestervik, Trosa…
      The answer as to why I didn’t get to this museum when I was in Őstersund a few years earlier (and that was pre-digital) is now coming back to me –I was planning to teach an evening class about Swedish music (!) and needed to head in the other direction to reach the island Frösön where the house of the composer Peterson-Berger is a museum, and I was taking photos (those prints in my shoebox!) to use for the class, and obtain Swedish CD’s which were not easy to get hold of then before internet mail order for such things.

You were quite some photographer already then Sterkoder – Love the way that delta wing with the Tre Kronor is placed in the frame. Vilde clearly is impressed and looks about to curtsey in that lovely summer dress (tell her I liked it…I am finding myself waving back at her on my computer screen!!!)

Wow, look at that Viggen!
      I have just been sufficiently curious to wonder if the museum is still up and running. At first it seemed it had become overwhelmed by “Teknikland” , a more wide-ranging family attraction – but then I also found this website which does seem to have updated as recently as May this year (I clicked on Mera bilder på flygplan), and has photos which do still show aircraft at close quarters…

Comment

Oh Cecilia, you have travelled so many places!!!!
        (Should've had a green smily here, of envy..., but envy is usually not me, so..)

As you can see from the museums website, they are open from May to 25th September this year, 10:00AM to 5:00PM.
        From the map, you will also see that the museum is actually a distance outside Östersund, and then a smaller road up from E14.
        It's a sign down by the main road, of course, but it is situated kind of in a "back yard" if you see what I mean.
        Therefore it might be just a bit difficult to find, specially for those who don't drive their own car.

Dane:
        I so do agree with you. It's a pleasure and treat to be able to touch the planes and stuff and be able to climb ladders and stairs to see c0ckpits and to be one with the pieces on display.

You know, the national aviation museum in Bodø here in Norway is just like the smaller one in Östersund...., you can walk around and touch almost all the displayed aircraft, both military and civil, and if I may: a visit to Bodø and this museum is highly recommended!!!
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          ....Therefore it might be just a bit difficult to find, specially for those who don't drive their own car....
          But you know a determined Seagull!!!!!!! ...you would be amazed at the remote out of the way places around Sweden that I have managed to reach!!!!!!

And Dane:yes the Bodø museum is simply wonderful in this way...you should come see!!!! (my photos are around somewhere on CVF...)

Comment

I assume the Smithsonian keeps people away is because they receive so many visitors. Millions of people touching things would soon wear away paint and damage things. I also have to think part is due to our love of lawyers and suing for everything. I am sure the museum would be sued if a visitor got a boo boo on one of the exhibits. We Americans often forget that banging our head into a metal cokcpit hatch can leave a mark.

Comment

Working...
            X