X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airports of the world

List of Ten busiest airports of the world...

http://travel.sympatico.ca/PhotoGall...rts_trip_atlas

Fak Fak Airport, West Papua, Indonesia

Here is one of the least busy Airport in the world.

The Terminal building:

The plane from Ambon lands three times a week:

And a Charter Flight is in at the same time:

In 2008 there was an accident at Fak Fak Airport. A plane landed short of the air strip and broke the under carriage. Nobody got seriously hurt but the Accident Investigation Committee found several faults with the facilities:

- There were no overshoot area prepared at each end of the runway as required.
    - The Emergency vehicle did not work and had not done so since 1998.
    - Only one of the five Emergency Personnel carried on the books actually existed, but he was not present at the time. (Not much he could do anyhow, I should think)

ALL the above has now been rectified, I have been told.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
      Here is one of the least busy Airport in the world.

In 2008 there was an accident at Fak Fak Airport. A plane landed short of the air strip and broke the under carriage. Nobody got seriously hurt but the Accident Investigation Committee found several faults with the facilities:

- There were no overshoot area prepared at each end of the runway as required.
      - The Emergency vehicle did not work and had not done so since 1998.
      - Only one of the five Emergency Personnel carried on the books actually existed, but he was not present at the time. (Not much he could do anyhow, I should think)

ALL the above has now been rectified, I have been told.
      After all, I do see to people standing by a fire extinguisher if anything should go wrong.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
        After all, I do see to people standing by a fire extinguisher if anything should go wrong.
        Yes they have the manpower in place now.
        But what about the Fire Extinguisher between them? When was it last serviced? Does it actually contain any foam agent?
        Such is the situation still in the far reaches of Indonesia that it can take months to get anything done. After a while it just become too tedious to try, so let's just pretend that it is all OK and post with a non-functioning extinguisher. Who's to know anyhow???

PS> I don't say that that is the case here. I didn't check the service tag.

Comment

Pattimura Airport - Ambon, Moluccas, Indonesia

Welcome to the hub airport in Eastern Indonesia:

PS> Ambon is the capital in the province of Moluccas.
          Last edited by ombugge; April 18th, 2011, 11:22. Reason: Add PS

Comment

This is a fairly busy airport with many different airlines having services here. Here is a few.

Merpati and a Military Transport:

The airliner in front is unidentifiable due to a dirty patch on the window.

Comment

Lion Air is a major domestic carrier in Indonesia:

With their smaller Commuter Airline, "Wings" serving smaller airports at outlaying islands:

Comment

Batavia Air is a smaller domestic operator:

Travira Air charter flight standing by:

No Garuda flights on the tarmac at the time of my two short visits in transit.

Comment

The Airport buildings is modern and well appointed. Seen here from the "outside":

Taking off en route Fak Fak on the outward leg:

Preparing to take off for Makassar and Jakarta on the homeward leg:

Comment

I had no time to go visiting the town, only to grab a meal at the nearest "Rumah Makan":

The choice of name may leave some to be desired.

At least the waitress was appropriately attired for the occasion:

She refused to have her picture taken alone, so the local "meet and greet" agent gamely agreed to participate.

Farewell to Ambon for this time, without a chance to visit the town proper:

Comment

Another day and another Airport. This is Yangon International Airport, Myanmar.

I didn't get a picture of the Airport from the outside, so this is off a Tourist brochure:

Comment

A mural painted on the wall in the Airport:

The Departure Hall:

Comment

A single Myanmar Airways International B-737 on the tarmac:

I noticed a DC-3 parked at another part of the airport, but could not get a clear shot at it.

Another flight taking off ahead of us:

Getting ready for take-off:

Comment

Brunei International Airport

Another airport not so frequently visited; Brunei International Airport (BWN):

I didn't get a good view of the terminal myself, so this is off the web.

BI 422 from Singapore is landing:

And at the terminal:

Comment

Re: Brunei International Airport

That means my wife should be coming through Customs soon. But time enough to have a look around the airport first.
                              A Royal Brunei plane waiting on the tarmac:

Is this the Tower??:
                              Last edited by ombugge; May 30th, 2011, 15:09. Reason: Correct picture

Comment

Working...
                              X