Volcanic dust closes airports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volcanic dust closes airports

Looking at UK air traffic this morning, I found that the airports throughout Scotland and the north of England are closed. It is rather dramatically illustrated in this screenshot.

It’s due to dust from the Icelandic volcanic eruption.

Here is a link to the BBC news report earlier this morning:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8621444.stm

Has Norway been affected?

Worsening situation - UK airspace is now completely closed (apparently for the first time ever), at least until 18:00. But from what I can see of the weather patterns I don’t think there will be much change even by then.

I have posted a satellite image of the dust cloud in the Satellite Images thread in Maritime Academy.
    Last edited by Seagull; April 15th, 2010, 15:07. Reason: added link

Comment

I heard about this on the news earlier Cecilia, it grabbed my attention straight away. Extraordinary that UK airspace is now closed. I wonder how long it will take this ash to dissipate?, will it float around for days or even weeks?, or will it come down?

No doubt that next time it rains we will all be left with dust covered cars! - maybe i will put off washing the car for a few days.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Looking at the sky, it looks pretty much as blue as it gets here in Edinburgh!
        I am not expecting the sort of thing that the words “volcanic ash cloud” conjure up, like a dramatic dust deposit on your car or a spectacular red sunset. I think the problem is that there is a significant amount of glassy particles being emitted, and it is that which poses a hazard to aviation.

Comment

I remember Anchorage, Alaska's airport being closed and many others after the Mt. Saint Helens big eruption but I have never heard of an entire countries airspace being closed. I can only imagine how much trouble it is to be an air passenger in Europe today.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
            I remember Anchorage, Alaska's airport being closed and many others after the Mt. Saint Helens big eruption but I have never heard of an entire countries airspace being closed. I can only imagine how much trouble it is to be an air passenger in Europe today.
            When Mt. Pinatubo, Philippines blew out in the mid/late 1990s we had heavy ash falling here in Singapore, but I cannot remember that there were any major shut down of air traffic in the region, except locally in the Philippines.

What I do remember is that it was difficult to see through airplane windows for a long time after, because of the "streaks" that had developed due to the ash at high altitude.

I believe the world temperature was also affected for a time?
            When Krakatoa blew up the world temperature dropped for quite a while, but air traffic was not a problem at the time.

Comment

This is absolutely extra-ordinary.... Norway enters second day of airspace closure: with no flights, no planes, no emergency helicopters.... Looking at the flight radar just now, there aren't many flights in the air above Europe:

And now, we can smell the volcano here...

And nobody really knows when things will return to normal, maybe it's time to relaunch the ocean liners? I bet the QM2 would be quite full across the Atlantic now, and maybe it's time to put QE2 back into trans-Atlantic service?

This is a cataclysmic event which now is taking it's grip on the world... I'm astounded and the reports on the news now, says the volcano is intensifying it's eruption....
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Well, no dramatic visible dust, or unusual sunset in Edinburgh for my 365 skyscape photo yesterday (I was reduced to returning to the “sky over garden hedge” view!).

But that plane-less flight radar view is very dramatic!
                You seem more in the direction of the ash in Norway. Here are the winds 06:00 today, 16-April which you can compare with the situation at noon yesterday which I posted across in the Satellite Images thread #29 in answer to a post of Pilotdanes.

Satreponline.org

Going out for lunch is taking priority over any processing of satellite data today . . .

Comment

This is indeed a very EERIE scenario (happening?)....

I can clearly smell the sulfur in the air, and a friend of mine which is troubled with asthma, has difficulties already today.

I just saw on the news, that the volcano which is now tossing dust into the air is normally a volcano which starts to bellow out smoke before another bigger volcano which I do not remember the name of. The big volcano which normally follows this smaller one, has a frequency of 40 - 60 years, but last eruption was almost 90 years ago: hence overdue.

Is this a warning of something to come?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

By the way, I looked out for a spectacular red sky last night, but the clouds were too dark, too many...

And today, the weather is really strange.... we have heavy snow, slush snow, sunlight, occasionally spiced with a rainshower!

Think I might hunker up and go out to see if I can capture some interesting sceneries...

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                      I just saw on the news, that the volcano which is now tossing dust into the air is normally a volcano which starts to bellow out smoke before another bigger volcano which I do not remember the name of. The big volcano which normally follows this smaller one, has a frequency of 40 - 60 years, but last eruption was almost 90 years ago: hence overdue.
                      The name of the huge volcano they think soon will blow is the nearby KATLA.

Video of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano can be seen here:

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/utenriks/ar...artid=10000804

Comment

Just sat here thinking about it, whats HOT and what's NOT:

What's hot:

Volcanic lava
                        Volcanic ash

What's not:

Aircraft hijcaking's
                        Plane spotting

Any else?

Comment

I wonder how far south the dust/ash as spread so far? I ask because last night my satellite tv reception was terrible, signal kept dropping out for around 2 hours. It is normally fine. I pick up signals from the Astra and Eurobird satellites, I think they are East/South East from my location. I did not think the ash had got that far yet? So maybe just normal atmospherics that caused my poor signal last night.

So amazing to find ourselves without air travel in the 21st century, i doubt anyone had predicted that this could happen. Interesting to read about the other Volcano that could erupt (KATLA), if our weather patterns do not change and she does blow, what on earth will it mean for 21st century man? - the busiest airspace in the world closed to 90% of commercial traffic!!

I totally agree with Jan-Olav about the Ocean Liners - come back, we might need you!

Again, this is just so amazing, humankind have become so dependent on air travel, then BAM, we are all grounded.
                          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

According to a news article on BBC now, it is stated that there is a 75% chance that the second volcano, Katla, will soon blow too...

Air traffic in Europe a few hours ago:

Comment

A close up video of the ash: now, that is a lot of ash!

http://www.adressa.no/tv/?id=13644

Comment

Working...
                              X